News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Frederic Austin (1872-1952)

Started by albion, Saturday 19 February 2011, 13:48

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Further evidence of the astounding vitality and depth of early-twentieth-century British music comes from the music of Frederic Austin.

Primarily known in his lifetime as a baritone (famously performing in the first English Elektra, Bantock's Omar Khayyam and Holbrooke's Dylan), and brother of fellow-composer Ernest Austin (1874-1947), Frederic was responsible for the seminal restoration/ revivals of John Gay's The Beggar's Opera and Polly in 1920s London. His own attractively sumptuous compositions may have escaped the radars of even commited anglophiles.

His style is reminiscent of York Bowen and early Frank Bridge, tinged as it is with a willingness to embrace French Impressionistic influences. Luckily three of his substantial scores are available in excellent performances conducted by Douglas Bostock:

Spring - Symphonic Rhapsody (1902-7, revised 1939)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Austin-Bainton-Bowen-Symphonic-Collection/dp/B000067ULW/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1298122681&sr=1-5

Symphony in E (1913)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heritage-Legacy-Elgar-Forebears-Successors/dp/B001G9SDOE/ref=sr_1_42?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1298122605&sr=1-42

The Sea Venturers - Overture (1934)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Austin-Overture-The-Sea-Venturers/dp/B002AKS3ZC/ref=sr_shvl_album_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1298122434&sr=301-5

All are very worthwhile, but the Symphony especially is a real find.  ;D

petershott@btinternet.com

Grateful for this, Albion. Rather like the pre-Copernicans not realising the star they saw in the morning was identical with that in the evening, it never occurred to me that Austin, the baritone, was one and the same as Austin, the composer. Thanks for your Copernican role!! (There can't be many professional singers who are also good composers - almost deserves a thread of its own!)

I agree with your estimate of Austin - 'Spring' in particular is a super piece. And we either need those Douglas Bostock performances more wildly available on CD or some new recordings. A natural for Chandos, but I guess they're busy with many other things.

Peter

Alan Howe

The symphony is certainly a very interesting listen - some lovely sonorities, ranging from impressionistic woodwind slitherings to full-blown, brass-led climaxes. Very like early Bridge, I agree. I seem to hear the more muscular Delius in there also; maybe Bax too. Not particularly memorable material, maybe, but a certainly very skilful handler of the orchestra. Well worth tracking down (I haven't checked on its availability). There was quite a musical renaissance going on in these islands in this period, wasn't there?

albion

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 20 February 2011, 00:18
There was quite a musical renaissance going on in these islands in this period, wasn't there?
Largely due to the teaching of Parry and Stanford at the RCM and Corder at the RAM there was an unprecented burgeoning of British music in the first decade of the twentieth century - Mackenzie, Parry, Stanford and Cowen were all still active, whilst Elgar and Delius were coming to international prominence.

Besides the work of these six men, the adventurous concert-goer active in the years between the death of Sullivan and the outbreak of World War One could also hear new music by Edward German, Hamish MacCunn, William Wallace, Ethel Smyth, Charles Wood, Granville Bantock, Henry Walford Davies, Joseph Holbrooke, Learmont Drysdale, John McEwen, Arnold Bax, Rutland Boughton, Montague Phillips, Cyril Scott, York Bowen, Paul Corder, Landon Ronald, Cyril Rootham, Vaughan Williams, Havergal Brian, John Ireland, Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, Fritz Hart, John Foulds, Gustav Holst, William Hurlstone, Frank Bridge, Ernest Farrar, William Henry Bell, Benjamin Dale, Frederic Austin, Edgar Bainton, Hamilton Harty ...

jerfilm

YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE SYMPHONY BY ITSELF FOR $3.96 FROM AMAZON.COM

Martin Eastick

For those interested in obtaining the three Classico CD's including the Austin works, I notice that JPC are offering these titles at only 4.99 Euros each at the moment!

albion

Quote from: Martin Eastick on Sunday 20 February 2011, 12:01
For those interested in obtaining the three Classico CD's including the Austin works, I notice that JPC are offering these titles at only 4.99 Euros each at the moment!
Unfortunately some if not all of the discs in ClassicO's British Symphonic Collection are no longer available from the supplier, including volume 10 (York Bowen - Symphony No.2, Austin - Spring, Bainton - Genesis). Some releases from the series have now appeared as downloads on Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music-album&field-keywords=british+symphonic+collection&x=0&y=0) and a couple of volumes have begun to appear on the 'Scandinavian Classics' label (http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/l/Scandinavian%2BClassics), but not this one. So if you locate a copy, it might be an idea to literally 'hurry while stocks last'!

The Symphony and Overture The Sea Venturers were on the two Heritage and Legacy discs produced for the RLPO's own label and have also now been deleted, although some retailers may still have copies - these two works by Frederic Austin are, however, readily available as downloads (see the links given at the beginning of the thread).

chill319

I would add the name Thomas Dunhill to Albion's list. Such an explosion of memorable music from the British Isles at that time...

Ebubu

The topic has not been a active for a while, but it's worth noting that Chandos finally issued a very fine recording of Spring, in the Vol 1 of British Symphonic Poems by Rumon Gamba.  A wonderful adventure, this CD is !!!