News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Here's a trailer for the recording.
Composers & Music / Sibelius The Wood Nymph
Last post by Alan Howe - Today at 13:15
Coming between Kullervo and Symphony No.1, this is an entirely typical and characteristic tone poem of which I was previously unaware. I gather it was only rediscovered in the 1980s. I am blown away...
Oper Wuppertal is showing a joint performance of Schönberg's "Erwartung" and Smyth's "Der Wald". A very positive review can be read in the German version of VAN magazine (subscription required but two articles per month can be read for free).
Recordings & Broadcasts / Re: Recording of Raff's Samson
Last post by Alan Howe - Monday 22 April 2024, 20:39
Thanks. Can't wait!
Last post by Mark Thomas - Monday 22 April 2024, 19:47
I'm sure that Fred can be more specific but the last I heard it was scheduled for late April or during May. So, within the next few weeks unless it's been delayed.
Last post by Alan Howe - Monday 22 April 2024, 18:27
Is there any news about a possible release date for this important project?
Recordings & Broadcasts / Re: Osip Kozlovsky - Requiem
Last post by Alan Howe - Monday 22 April 2024, 12:33
Yes, that's terrific, isn't it? But the whole work holds one's attention, I find.
Recordings & Broadcasts / Re: Osip Kozlovsky - Requiem
Last post by Christopher - Monday 22 April 2024, 11:06
What's your favourite section Alan? Mine is unquestionably the Confutatis.  Just so dramatic.  I might have had it on repeat...repeatedly..!
Composers & Music / Sir Andrew Davis dies 20th Apr...
Last post by Alan Howe - Sunday 21 April 2024, 19:45
I'm sorry to report the passing yesterday (20th April) of Andrew Davis who went to my school in Watford, although he was ten years older than me so I never met him. He was one of a number of distinguished musicians that the school produced, including Adrian Leaper (French horn and conductor) and Michael (Mick) Thompson (also a French horn player). My violin teacher was a Pole named Stefan Fragner who had been a prisoner-of-war in WW2 and was a very fine player. It was quite an era for music - although I never figured as a musician myself!