Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Recordings & Broadcasts / Hanssens Violin Concerto (1836), etc.
« Last post by Alan Howe on Yesterday at 21:33 »
...on a CD forthcoming from Phaedra and including a plethora of enticing short pieces:
https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8395685--in-flanders-fields-vol-96-where-are-the-snows-of-yesterday

Incidentally, Toskey lists two VCs by Hanssens, No.1 in D and No.2 in A, so it's not clear which work is featured here.
Recordings & Broadcasts / Re: Rheinberger Organ Concertos (E. Power Biggs)
« Last post by Alan Howe on Thursday 18 January 2018, 17:16 »
Thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated.
« Last post by eschiss1 on Thursday 18 January 2018, 15:39 »
I look forward to listening to the recording.

Personally on the whole I used to enjoy his organ music less than his standard-instrumentation(ish) chamber music (e.g. the fine string quintet), but I'm not that surprised to find I like more of his music with time rather than less... but yes I realize that's off-topic to the concertos (moreso than, say, a comparison with other recordings of same.)
« Last post by Gareth Vaughan on Thursday 18 January 2018, 14:25 »
Having sampled some of Rheinberger's organ sonatas years ago I'm afraid I have to say I did not find them engaging.
« Last post by Revilod on Thursday 18 January 2018, 12:47 »
I'm not sure. I don't know these works and opinions seem to vary. Some reviewers in the Gramophone and elsewhere have had a low opinion of the sonatas. I remember one reviewer calling them dull though, he said, they are occasionally enlivened by perky fugue subjects.

I've got an old book by Harvey Grace on the organ works. It is, of course, mostly enthusiastic though it is not afraid to make some harsh criticisms of certain movements or even whole sonatas. Grace regards the best of the sonatas as Nos  6-14 and is particularly keen on No. 12, Op. 154, "the finest" of them.
« Last post by Alan Howe on Thursday 18 January 2018, 07:52 »
So, should I now move on to Rheinberger's solo organ works?
Composers and Music / Re: Amédée Méreaux: String Quartet Op. 121
« Last post by eschiss1 on Thursday 18 January 2018, 03:48 »
Thanks!!
« Last post by Revilod on Wednesday 17 January 2018, 22:55 »
Yes. I bought it and I agree. It's a very fine disc in every way. Excellent music superbly performed and recorded.
« Last post by Alan Howe on Wednesday 17 January 2018, 16:59 »
This is indeed a fine re-release of two superb performances. It is great to be able to enjoy them without the inevitable compromises involved in the original vinyl LP. The music is grateful, euphonious and hugely enjoyable. Has anyone else bought it?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10