News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Recent posts

A number of young composers have dedicated their First Symphony to their musical hero, and some have achieved a fair measure of success in so doing. Nils Gade's First followed on from his Echoes of Ossian overture in telling a story of innocence and derring-do,as a tribute to Mendelssohn. Charles Ives composed a hauntingly beautiful homage to Dvorak on the occasion of the latter's return from America in the slow movement of his First.

Scherber falls into this category of success. Taking,I believe, Bruckner's Ninth as a starting-point, he has distilled his admiration into 30 minutes of loving respect. Maestro adriano has brought Scherber's First to life with Palladian limpidity and we are greatly in his debt. This is a must-buy for me!
May I also remind friends of this excellent extended article on Franck at MusicWeb?>>>
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2018/Mar/FranckE_article.pdf
Recordings & Broadcasts / Re: Eduard Franck 1817-1893
Last post by Alan Howe - Yesterday at 22:48
I have ordered this book in order to try and find out more information:
'Die Komponisten Eduard und Richard Franck - Leben und Werk, Dokumente, Quellen'
('The Composers Eduard and Richard Franck - Life and Work, Documents, Sources')
https://www.booklooker.de/app/detail.php?aktionID=34577198&setMediaType=0
Last post by Alan Howe - Yesterday at 21:45
No idea, unfortunately. The three 'lost' symphonies are:
Symphony in A minor (1846)
Symphony in G minor (1852/1856)
Symphony in B flat (1858) - not B major
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduard_Franck#Orchesterwerke_und_Konzerte

IMSLP's listing does give interesting composition dates for the two extant symphonies, however:
Symphony in A, Op.47: 1860?
Symphony in B flat, Op.52: 1856
https://imslp.org/wiki/List_of_works_by_Eduard_Franck

This positions them both in the so-called Dahlhaus Gap, between Schumann 4 and Brahms 1.
Last post by Ilja - Yesterday at 18:35
Both of Franck's recorded symphones are hugely enjoyable works; what they also share is a certain, almost muscular, confidence. 

Chronologically, the A major and Bb major symphonies are Franck's Symphonies No. 4 and 5. There seem to be various dates floating around, from the late 1850s (IMSLP) to 1882/1883 (German Wikipedia), and it is not entirely clear which one was written first. For me, the A major feels the more "senior" of the two, but of course that doesn't mean much. 

There are three earlier symphonies in A minor, G minor and B major written in the 1840s and 1850s but they are listed as "verschollen" (lost). Does anyone know more about them and how "lost" they are exactly? 
This is a treasurable CD of RVW's forgotten early music, valuable first of all for his once-discarded 20-minute long 'Fantasia' which sounds like nothing else of the period, although the booklet notes mention Brahms and Rachmaninov - of which I can hear barely a trace! This is the work of a composer determined to be his own man.

'The Steersman' is Vaughan Williams in 'Sea Symphony' mode, which isn't surprising as it was originally intended as an extra movement for that work, preceding the finale. Evidently it is thought that the idiom, being more advanced than the rest of the Sea Symphony, would not have been a good fit; it would also have made the symphony 10 minutes longer! Whatever is the case, this is a superb work.

'The Future' seems to be the piece that has required the most reconstruction work on the CD. All I can say is that the result is a blazing 33-minute choral/orchestral masterpiece. This is surely a shoo-in for the Last Night of the Proms. Come on BBC - your resident orchestra and chorus already know the work, so put it on for a wider audience to hear! And kudos to conductor/reconstruction expert, Martin Yates!

Composers & Music / Re: Who would you consider a B...
Last post by Maury - Yesterday at 13:53
Quote from: adriano on Yesterday at 11:29Scherber's First Symphony is definitely a Bruckner homage :-)

Adriano,

It's on order but I haven't received it yet! BTW I have others that you did for Marco Polo. I think the first one I got was the Honegger Film music. 
Last post by Febct - Yesterday at 13:41
Quote from: Alan Howe on Yesterday at 12:54You are correct. The YouTube link is to Franck's A major Symphony; however, the caption is wrong - it should read "Op.47"

Thanks.
Composers & Music / Re: Who would you consider a B...
Last post by Alan Howe - Yesterday at 12:58
Last post by Alan Howe - Yesterday at 12:54
You are correct. The YouTube link is to Franck's A major Symphony; however, the caption is wrong - it should read "Op.47"