News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Recent posts

It's been put right, Eric. My own feelings towards Liszt are rather mixed: I think his symphonic poems are a fusion of sublimity, excitement and banality - probably about right for the experimental form that they represent. However - and it's an important 'however' - I firmly believe that his Faust Symphony is a blazing masterpiece: every bar of it grips me, and I think it's significant that many good-to-great conductors have recorded it - e.g. Beecham, Bernstein (twice), Solti, Barenboim, Sinopoli, Masur, Ansermet, Fischer (Ivan), Muti, Chailly, Thielemann, Rattle, Noseda, Dorati, d'Avalos, Dausgaard, Conlon, Inbal - and probably others' I've forgotten. In other words, far more conductors than have conducted more than the odd symphonic poem or two.

So, to return to Mihalovich and Major, I'm hoping that some of their symphonies/concertos might turn out to be worth reviving. Mihalovich wrote four symphonies; Major wrote six symphonies, two further PCs, one VC and one Cello Concerto!
For Major's works list, follow this link:
https://imslp.org/wiki/List_of_works_by_Gyula_Major
Of course, most of Mihalovich's music remains in ms and available at best through a Hungarian library. I respectfully disagree regarding Liszt's music- my opinion is as opposite as my "opinion" of the spelling of his family name as he wrote it.
I have one CD of Mihalovich's songs, which I rather like. There are also four symphonies; no.1 is at IMSLP - these are what interest me. However, Major may well be the more attractive proposition, I agree.
Composers & Music / Re: Jakab Gyula Major Concert ...
Last post by Reverie - Yesterday at 23:01
As regards Mihalovich I don't think there is much to take in. The orchestral works are poor immitations of Listz as far as I can see after a bit of research. (And Liszt's orchestral stuff is poor to start with) Sorry!

Major might be a diferent case as he belongs to a different era of course. I have his Symphonie Hongroise (No2) op17 (1898) from the BL and it looks promising. We will see.
Composers & Music / Re: Jakab Gyula Major Concert ...
Last post by Alan Howe - Yesterday at 21:41
...and I for one trust your judgment, Gareth. I think there's an important gap in Hungarian musical history, i.e. between the generation of Liszt and that of Dohnanyi. We've already (partially) redicovered Beliczay and Moor is a work in progress, but I think that Major and Mihalovich are two worthy composers that have fallen through the musicological net.

Perhaps there are others whom I've forgotten...
During my first of two trips to London , in 1993, I remember getting a couple of CDs at Moores (Myaskovsky 3/Lyrical Concertino, and - oh right, Tubin sym.7 etc. on BIS.)
Now there are some new orchestral music by him on naxos, including Suite romantica and Divertimento for Chamber Orch w/ Pno Obbligato
Recordings & Broadcasts / Re: A trip to the record store...
Last post by Alan Howe - Tuesday 16 April 2024, 16:36
My favourite was Farringdon Records (Cheapside, I think). Can't remember what went on upstairs (probably pop) , but downstairs was classical LP paradise. I always spent too much..
Last post by terry martyn - Tuesday 16 April 2024, 15:19
I used to buy Louis Spohr symphonies there.  My lasting memory is how prohibitively expensive they were!!
Last post by Wheesht - Tuesday 16 April 2024, 14:51
The British Record Shop Archive has more information, photos and even a link to an interview with Harold Moores. I remember venturing in the basement about 25 years ago in search of that surprisingly rare thing, a recording of 'Peter and the Wolf' with Russian narration – and I found it!