News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Recent posts

That is sad news. Sir Andrew Davis has always been my go to conductor for Elgar, after I purchased and grew to love, his 5 cd box set with the BBC Symphony Orchestra, now on Warner. I also have a treasured DVD of Sir Andrew Davis conducting the Enigma Variations, and explaining and referencing each variation. A sad loss.
Composers & Music / Re: Sibelius The Wood Nymph
Last post by tappell - Today at 17:06
Thank you for the heads up. I was not aware of this piece, although discovered I already had it on a recording by John Storgards. I am equally blown away, particularly as it falls within the earlier period of Sibelius's works which is much more to my taste than his later works.
Excellent. Will be nice to hear some more of her earlier works
Here's a trailer for the recording.
Composers & Music / Sibelius The Wood Nymph
Last post by Alan Howe - Today at 13:15
Coming between Kullervo and Symphony No.1, this is an entirely typical and characteristic tone poem of which I was previously unaware. I gather it was only rediscovered in the 1980s. I am blown away...
Oper Wuppertal is showing a joint performance of Schönberg's "Erwartung" and Smyth's "Der Wald". A very positive review can be read in the German version of VAN magazine (subscription required but two articles per month can be read for free).
Recordings & Broadcasts / Re: Recording of Raff's Samson
Last post by Alan Howe - Monday 22 April 2024, 20:39
Thanks. Can't wait!
Last post by Mark Thomas - Monday 22 April 2024, 19:47
I'm sure that Fred can be more specific but the last I heard it was scheduled for late April or during May. So, within the next few weeks unless it's been delayed.
Last post by Alan Howe - Monday 22 April 2024, 18:27
Is there any news about a possible release date for this important project?