News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Recent posts

No, it's good to talk...

(I've been collecting Alfano too!)
Quote from: Alan Howe on Today at 17:53It's also the price you pay to get repertoire like Alfano. It's not as if they're putting out Beethoven symphonies with the Back of Beyond Philharmonic...

Indeed, and I'm not complaining, mind you.  Just taking note of facts.

The breadth of their catalog is inspiring and I've been introduced to so many, for me, formerly unknown composers on whose music I've taken a chance and have become a fan.  More power to Naxos - at any price!

Anyway - sorry to change the subject. 
It's also the price you pay to get repertoire like Alfano. It's not as if they're putting out Beethoven symphonies with the Back of Beyond Philharmonic...
Naxos' rise from bargain basement to the penthouse has outpaced inflation.  So it goes.

But you're right - or, perhaps, "somebody" is right.  When I scan my CD shelves, I see tons of Naxos spines looking back at me.  Tomorrow, the world...
Naxos releases certainly aren't bargain basement any more - I suppose that's inflation for you. While all price hikes are to be regretted, nevertheless I don't really regard Naxos as a budget label any longer - more like just below standard price. And when you consider (for example) that their latest release of Meyerbeer's L'Africana features world-renowned tenor Michael Spyres, they're not putting out bargain-quality material any more. Somebody once opined that Naxos would conquer the world one day. Perhaps that day has come...

There are also the 3 Concert Fantasies Op. 63 for piano & orchestra, mss. of which are in the Szechenyi Library.
I'm not sure that the E major PC without opus number is complete. Szechenyi never replied to my enquiry about that  which, admittedly, I sent during the COVID outbreak.
I've been a collector of recordings of Alfano's music.  Naxos seems to have a thing for him.

But, parenthetically, what the heck has happened to the prices on Naxos CDs? Amazon now wants upwards of US$20 or so. A bit lower on the Amazon UK, but shipping cost wipes out the difference.

Our once and future "budget" label has made it to the big time!
It's been put right, Eric.

My own feelings towards Liszt are rather mixed: I think his symphonic poems are a fusion of sublimity, excitement and banality - probably about right for the experimental form that they represent. However - and it's an important 'however' - I firmly believe that his Faust Symphony is a blazing masterpiece: every bar of it grips me, and I think it's significant that many good-to-great conductors have recorded it - e.g. Beecham, Bernstein (twice), Solti, Barenboim, Sinopoli, Masur, Ansermet, Fischer (Ivan), Muti, Chailly, Thielemann, Rattle, Noseda, Dorati, d'Avalos, Dausgaard, Conlon, Inbal - and probably others I've forgotten. In other words, far more conductors than those who have conducted just the odd symphonic poem or two.

So, to return to Mihalovich and Major, I'm hoping that some of their symphonies/concertos might turn out to be worth reviving. Mihalovich wrote four symphonies; Major wrote six symphonies, two further PCs, one VC and one Cello Concerto!
For Major's works list, follow this link:
https://imslp.org/wiki/List_of_works_by_Gyula_Major
Of course, most of Mihalovich's music remains in ms and available at best through a Hungarian library. I respectfully disagree regarding Liszt's music- my opinion is as opposite as my "opinion" of the spelling of his family name as he wrote it.
I have one CD of Mihalovich's songs, which I rather like. There are also four symphonies; no.1 is at IMSLP - these are what interest me. However, Major may well be the more attractive proposition, I agree.