Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Apologies if I implied that I was in a frantic screaming hurry :) (actually, my avoidance-level panic was reserved for Academy of Peer Services modules some of which I was trying to get done by Friday and one of which I actually managed to finish (not that they're any of them so difficult)- too much information, sorry.) So far as I'm concerned when you can get to it is fine :) I don't seem to yet have (wholly legitimate?) access to a recording in any case, I think. I may have heard it on WQXR or Radio Stephansdom or somewhere, my memory jogs me, some time back, but of course it would be good to again. Of course even prior to audition it "sounds" interesting enough- intriguing enough anyway - and hoping that it finds a sponsor so that it can be available more generally. (I have bought from Records International- not yet from Musicweb - but even then only once or twice, as against more often, back when I got CDs, from Amazon and elsewhere...)

Do the recordings of symphony no.2 say "B minor" on the frontispiece? Worldcat seems to suggest they do. (The scores as listed in Worldcat suggest the keys are no.1 in D minor, no.2 in F minor, no.3 in B minor. There's also a piano trio and a couple of other things by him recordings of which might be easier to make (than symphonies) (logistically, 3 people vs. 200,000,000,000,000,000,000*; permission would still need having) but no idea at present whether they're recorded or worth having etc.

Thanks!

*exaggerating by lots for fun, sorry... though as a fan of Sorabji's Jami symphony (heard so far only in an - enjoyable imho - synthesized version) - truly well-handled superlarge-orchestra, superheavy counterpoint works (thinking also Vermeulen 5, some other things) don't put _me_ off...
The sleevenote says he was not merely a great, but a 'supreme' composer. Special pleading, I'm assuming...
Marinuzzi, a great conductor and Wagner expert. He was also artistic director of the Chicago Opera before he returned to Italy. He also conducted operas by Bellini and Donizetti - and the world premiere of Puccini's "La Rondine". Maria Callas favored him.
His opera "Jacquerie" (premiered at the Colon Buoens Aires in 1918) is a good work. It was released by Nuova Era in 2006 (a 1994 live recording from Catania). The libretto is by the poet Alberto Donaudy, brother of composer Stefano Donaudy (who wrote some wonderful songs!)
Good to have another example of usurious practices to protest. Of course, Amazon has no such kind of "claim option", so I try it in a customer's forum - with already some hypocrite reactions:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=cs_hc_k_edit_msg?ie=UTF8&forumID=Fx3RLE6WY0PI1B4&cdThread=Tx5OO5OJ9UP48T&cdPage=1#Mx36VYNNN6P4E4D
Sounds more probable.
Oh, I think they probably do. I can't believe anyone in their right mind would not immediately look elsewhere after having seen a ridiculous price like that. And if they can't be bothered to do a little Internet searching to find a more realistic price and actually pay what is so absurdly asked, they have more money than sense and deserve to be parted from it.
New Recordings & Broadcasts / Re: Emile Jaques-Dalcroze - New CD
« Last post by hadrianus on Yesterday at 23:23 »
Glad to see that I can be bought for less :-)
It's a scandal, I know. I have written to Amazon already years ago in connection with other similar cases. Especially if the CDs are still on the market. Such perversely high private offers at Amazon Marketplace should be forbidden. Let's hope, that such arrogant (or naive?) seller will have to wait until the CD destroys itself before he gets rid of it.
The sleevenote says he suffered from liver failure while in the village of Bratto in mid-August 1945; from there he was taken by ambulance to Milan where he died on 17th August.
Looking forward to hearing it.
Wikipedia has it that he "died" in 1945. Vaguely remembered that that is accurate as far as it goes, but that he was killed by anti-fascist partisans, or am I thinking of another Italian conductor/composer who died in the same year? (Ah. It's Marinuzzi, but Slonimsky, according to a quick Google search, questions this story. ... So how did Marinuzzi die?) (According to Slonimsky, who finds too many holes and improbabilities in the usual story- and who also notes a cease-and-desist sort of letter from Marinuzzi's family to Baker's for their possibly incorrect account, a letter claiming he died in hospital - Slonimsky at least finds the peaceful death in hospital not unlikely. hrm. Ok, never mind then. I'd only heard the more sensational but apparently unlikely version...)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10