News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Recordings & Broadcasts / Re: Ferdinand Ries symphonies ...
Last post by Alan Howe - Tuesday 02 April 2024, 10:48
I'm sure this is good for those who have never picked up the cpo recordings, but the latter are very fine, so I won't be tempted into any duplication here. Still, this is an enterprising project.
Composers & Music / Bertin "Fausto" – first staged...
Last post by Wheesht - Tuesday 02 April 2024, 10:34
The Aalto Musiktheater in Essen, Germany is showing the first staged production of "Fausto" by Louise Bertin since its premiere in Paris in 1831.

There appears to be just this short trailer on Youtube.

A quick search has come up with three German reviews, all positive:

Die Deutsche Bühne

Concerti

Der Opernfreund

Composers & Music / Byron Janis 1928-2024
Last post by drewdavis - Tuesday 02 April 2024, 06:34
I note the passing of this famous American pianist. His wife, Maria Janis Cooper, was Gary Cooper's only child. I don't think Janis had played publicly for many years as I believe he had an injury which kept him away from the piano.
Last post by eschiss1 - Tuesday 02 April 2024, 02:05
ah, and their sym 4 ends at 32:09 (5:46 finale, rather briefer than Griffiths' 6:07.)
Last post by eschiss1 - Tuesday 02 April 2024, 01:53
Total durations are almost the same (26:03/26:33 on Ondine, 26:37/25:26 on cpo) with some greater variations in reported durations of individual movements.

Their video of sym.4 is a minute slower than Griffiths, which may include pauses and applauses, haven't checked... edit: the performance starts at 34 seconds in, after applause, yes-the movements are given with internal timings under the video. "Available until 11 March 2025"- so perhaps the new commercial release is in process :)
Last post by Alan Howe - Monday 01 April 2024, 22:06
From what I can hear of the excerpts at Presto, these will be extremely swift performances - I'm tempted to say possibly too swift...
Recordings & Broadcasts / Ferdinand Ries symphonies - ne...
Last post by eschiss1 - Monday 01 April 2024, 21:42
The Tapiola Sinfonietta has been posting to YouTube recordings of some of the 8 symphonies by Beethoven's (piano) pupil Ferdinand Ries (1784-1838), whose complete symphonies have been recorded once, on cpo.
presto announces that May 3 will see the release of a new intended Ries cycle on Ondine from Janne Nisonen and the above mentioned Tapiola Sinfonietta. (Ondine describes the recording as first in a new cycle.)
Composers & Music / Re: Symphonies with solo voice
Last post by Alan Howe - Monday 01 April 2024, 21:26
Chandos have just brought out Adam Pounds' 3rd Symphony from 2021 - recordings are in rude health, concert performances are (mostly) stalled.
Composers & Music / Re: Symphonies with solo voice
Last post by Ilja - Monday 01 April 2024, 20:57
The thing with Mahler is that no (or hardly any)one else conducted his symphonies for a fairly long time. He was no fringe figure as a conductor, but certainly not (yet) particularly broadly known as a composer outside of a few musical centres where people were able to see his performances for themselves. The three composers that you mention all existed in the direct personal orbit of Gustav Mahler himself, and as important as that circle and Vienna as a musical capital were, it wasn't the entire musical world. Mahler's present eminence in the concert hall has exaggerated his contemporary significance.

To be honest, I'm not pessimistic about symphonies at all. About he concert hall repertory perhaps, yes, but the issue isn't so much the audiences as the moving parts necessary to get music performed. From arrogant impresarios, via soloists unwilling or unable to study new music, to marketing people that remain desperately afraid to lose their dwindling subscription audiences - but refusing to engage with a new, more opportunistically concert-going public. I've met them all and have been part of one of these groups. It is the gigantic infrastructure of classical music that is threatening to bring it all down.