News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Gunnar Gjerstrøm 1891-1951

Started by M. Henriksen, Saturday 11 June 2011, 10:05

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

I'm glad to see the interest in Halfdan Cleve's music on this forum, and so I reckon it could be interesting to introduce you to one of Cleve's piano pupils; Gunnar Gjerstrøm.
Gjerstrøm composed in a late-romantic style, and his two Piano Concertos from the 1930's could be very interesting to hear. I think I've read about a Symphony by the same composer, but I can't find any information on the web (I've not done a thorough research!).

Here's a short biography:

http://www.mic.no/mic.nsf/doc/art2002101214500790874341

And some excerpts of some songs, chamber music and piano pieces:

http://www.mic.musikkonline.no/shop/displayPerson.asp?pid=24286&pname=Gunnar Gjerstrøm&pg=1 (There are 2 pages of excerpts)

Gjerstrøm's short orchestral piece "Sagn" (Legend) is also included on Norwegian Classical Favourites 2 (Naxos).

Maybe the Piano Concertos of Cleve and Gjerstrøm could be of interest for Hyperion in the future!?

Morten

eschiss1

one other piece of his on CD - see here two movements from a piano suite (Pro Musica PPC 9047, released ca.2006). This might be from an LP of piano music mentioned in Worldcat or it might be a new recording? (Ah I see, that CD is mentioned in your 2nd link- perhaps the EMI and other LPs I think I noticed are also.)
Looked at bibsys.no for Gjerstrøm piano concertos - they have a score (159 p) of the f minor piano concerto (published by Norsk notestik & forlag, at Avdeling Bjergsted). Hopefully the scores and parts of the others, and the parts of the F minor, are available somewhere, so that Hyperion or some other interested label can take them up. (Hrm. It seems that the University of Louisville has the 2nd concerto in score, and a university _in_ Louisville has another copy of the 1st... well, good!)

eschiss1

one other thing- apparently in a repository called the Kirsten Flagstad collection ? there is a reel tape of a 1959 performance, Waldemar Alme piano, ( ? orch, ? conductor) of a 1959 performance of the F minor piano concerto.

pianoconcerto

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 13 June 2011, 15:12
one other thing- apparently in a repository called the Kirsten Flagstad collection ? there is a reel tape of a 1959 performance, Waldemar Alme piano, ( ? orch, ? conductor) of a 1959 performance of the F minor piano concerto.

In addition, both Gjerstrom piano concertos have been recorded for broadcast by Ebba Isene/Olslo PO/Øivin Fjeldstad.  That's why I list these works in my online discography of Music for Piano and Orchestra.

Gjerstrøm, Gunnar (1891-1951) Norway
Concerto No. 1 in f (1930)
Concerto No. 2 "Sjøstemninger" [By the Sea] (1936)

I would think that anyone interested in the scores could get them from these parties or learn whom to contact.

Gareth Vaughan

Information about publishers and where to obtain the scores of Gunnar Gjerstrøm's 2 piano concertos (and much else) can be found at:
Music Information Centre Norway
P.O. Box 2674 Solli
N-0203 Oslo
Tel: +47 2327 6300
Fax: +47 2327 6301
info@mic.no

M. Henriksen

Just a small detail: I see Gjerstrøm's 2nd Concerto being referred to as The Sea, By the Sea and Sjøstemingar, the latter can be translated to Moods of the Sea. I don't know what the correct title is, but I'm sure that Gunnar Gjerstrøm's son; the composer Bjørn G. Gjerstrøm can help us out with more information about his father and his compositions. I'll see if I can get in contact with him in the near future.

Morten