Main Menu

Leonid Polovinkin

Started by fyrexia, Sunday 10 July 2011, 14:37

Previous topic - Next topic

fyrexia

Finally. The Northen Flowers has released the new war time series vol.16
http://www.russiancdshop.com/music.php?zobraz=details&id=24589&lang=en

Leonid Polovinkin Symphony No.7

----if you guys dont know, they have already released the symphony no.9.
And if you dont know the label, i recommend getting it !
They have mosolov symphony  e mayor and yevlakhov 1st symphony !

Tony

febnyc

Thanks for the info.

I have most of the discs in the "Wartime" series.  Many of the composers (and the music, of course) were completely unknown to me - and I have yet to be disappointed.  Yes, the works are of varying ability but always interesting to hear.  Some quite obscure stuff now available for us, courtesy of Northern Flowers.

Polovinkin is another, for me, total mystery.  I cannot find any sound bites of these Symphonies.  Will have to wait to order the CDs.

febnyc

Whoops - I see that on the JPC website there are snippets from the Polovinkin Symphony No.9.  It must be a substantial work since it is alone on the disc.

I assume the sound bites are from the beginning of each movement.  In that case temptations abound - a clarinet opens the work and soon is joined by an oboe - to sing what appears to be a Russian folk melody.  The second movement (a scherzo?) juts out immediately into a sort of heavy Tchaikovskian theme. 

The third (slow) movement begins with an intriguing bassoon-led march and the finale has a striking effect initially - a strong tutti backed by timpani.

Very interrresting.... :P

eschiss1

if I understand the Russian Wikipedia article aright (there are Wiki-articles on Polovinkin in Italian , Russian, Ukrainian, German, and Japanese but not yet English - see wikipedia-de for the German language one which also links to the other four)) the symphonies 1 to 9 date from 1929 to 1944  (there are two works by Polovinkin at IMSLP though due to his late death-date, only visible in the US and Canada- or Canada-only depending on pub.date - until 2020 or so.)

Dundonnell

I have just shelled out 38 Euros for Leonid Polovinkin's Symphonies Nos. 7 and 9 together with Orest Yevlakhov(or Evlakhov)'s Symphony No.1 from Northern Flowers :)

Please someone tell me that I won't be disappointed ??? ;D

Alan Howe

I for one will be very interested in your reactions...

Dundonnell

The deciding factor in buying these Russian cds was listening to Yevlakhov's Symphony No.3 (again, courtesy of this site :))). It is unmistakably written by a pupil of Shostakovich and has the latter's fingerprints-particularly the Shostakovich of Symphony No.11- all over it but, since I am a sucker for that type of dark, brooding Russian symphonism................. ;D

dafrieze

For what it's worth, the Yevlakhov piece didn't do much for me.  The Polovinkin symphonies have a much stronger profile, I think - very Russian, if that means anything to you, with hints of Prokofiev and Myaskovsky, and plenty of allusions to, or reminiscences of, Russian folksongs.  Nothing life-changing, probably, and not really worth 38 euros, but certainly worth listening to.

Dundonnell

I shall report back when the discs arrive from the Czech Republic :)

The 38 Euros are spent so that is that ;D  (Now, how to find the cash for the Andreae Symphony, the Merikanto Symphonies and the Somervell Thalassa ??? ;D)

petershott@btinternet.com

Ah, you're a more impulsive man than me, for I'm still hovering over Polovinkin. But there is a bit of bad faith in me for I know that one day, and soon, Polovinkin will be on my shelves!

For Andreae, do go straight to the Guild website - I there fork out £8.50 for Guild CDs, which just about puts them 'mid-price'. The service is excellent, and the postage charged from Switzerland to the UK surprisingly inexpensive.

Merikanto is the formidable one. There seems no avoiding the conclusion that Alba CDs, at least in the UK, are just so damned expensive!

Happy hunting!

Dundonnell

ajones

Quote from: fyrexia on Sunday 10 July 2011, 14:37
Finally. The Northen Flowers has released the new war time series vol.16
http://www.russiancdshop.com/music.php?zobraz=details&id=24589&lang=en

Leonid Polovinkin Symphony No.7

----if you guys dont know, they have already released the symphony no.9.
And if you dont know the label, i recommend getting it !
They have mosolov symphony  e mayor and yevlakhov 1st symphony !

Tony

This is actually one of my most favorite war times series volume! I wish I could send  next day delivery flowers to the Northern Flowers as a sign of appreciation and love for music! Thank you so much for calming my soul in such a great and inspiring way.

PaulRx4

Hello
you can hear Symphony no 7 and 9 at Spotify, really worth hearing first, his piano music CD is
very interesting, and also there.  Once in awhile Spotify does really come thru although searching
there is a real pain, search by artist --works slightly better. 

Alan Howe