News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Edward SCHAFFER

Started by semloh, Saturday 03 March 2012, 06:02

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

Is anyone familiar with the music of California resident, Edward Schaffer? He seems a very sociable fellow, who has a number of web pages, including the ubiquitous Facebook. His response to the question "Is music your primary source of income?" is a gem of understated optimism - "No, not yet".  ;D

A lot of his music can be found on the Internet Archive, and I am about to sample it by downloading from:

http://www.archive.org/details/jamendo-105414

This has his Symphony No.1, a Sinfonietta and a Piano Concerto.  Among much else, the archive offers a symphony numbered 25, and a work listed as Op.253 - so he's a very prolific composer!  Amazon lists a CD of his 2007 ballet Stonehenge, and one entitled Symphony 4 Sol - which includes a Violin Concerto.

I'd be interested to know what you think.

semloh

Having listened to the Symphony it seems to me that Mr Schaffer's music desperately needs (and, I would suggest, deserves) performance by an orchestra, rather than a computer substitute. The quality of the composition is hard to judge from these realisations..... but a full symphony orchestra might reveal shades of Hovhaness, passages that recall Bach, and elements of Debussy....  he is unsung, and maybe undeservedly so :-\

Edward

Quote from: semloh on Saturday 03 March 2012, 06:15
Having listened to the Symphony it seems to me that Mr Schaffer's music desperately needs (and, I would suggest, deserves) performance by an orchestra, rather than a computer substitute. The quality of the composition is hard to judge from these realisations..... but a full symphony orchestra might reveal shades of Hovhaness, passages that recall Bach, and elements of Debussy....  he is unsung, and maybe undeservedly so :-\

Hi-  This is me!  The authentic Edward Schaffer
My music can also be heard on
www.soundclick.com/bigedlb

semloh

Edward, it is a great pleasure to have you here with the UC champions!  :)

It's a pity I didn't get any responses to my question back in March, as I'm sure I would not be the only one to enjoy your work. Since then we have had a major re-focusing of the forum on the strictly romantic style (as described via the link in the top right-hand corner of the webpage), but still I hope forum members will take the time to "check out" the links.

JimL

Tell you what, Edward.  Expose yourself to some of the composers and music we champion here and do what you can with your professionsl connections (whatever they be) to get some neglected 19th/early 20th-Century composers programmed in the concert hall, even if it's just with your local community orchestra.  Those of us who have any connections will do what we can to promulgate your music at a wider level. 

Alan Howe

Well, Jim, that's a tad 'previous'. I don't recall being consulted...