News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Clara Anna Korn 1866-1940

Started by giles.enders, Sunday 15 July 2012, 14:55

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Clara Anna Korn  nee Gerlach.    Born Berlin 30.6.1866 - Died New York 14.7.1940

At the age of three, she was taken to the USA  and grew up in New Jersey.  She studied music in New York at The National Conservatory, initially under Horatio Parker and Bruno Klein and later under Anton Dvorak. It is said that Tchaikovsky having seen some of her compositions wrote and urged her to persue a career as a composer.  For a period she was head of the music department at the De Bauer School of Music, New York.  Later in life she settled in Brooklyn as a music teacher. (She also seems to have been known as Clara Korer)

Orchestral

Symphony in C minor '
Symphonic poem, 'Morpheus'
Suite for orchestra, 'Ancient Dances'
Suite for orchestra, 'Rural Snapshots'
Piano Concerto
Capriccio for piano and orchestra
Violin Concerto

Chamber

Violin suite Op.10
There are other pieces for violin and piano

Piano

Piano Sonata 'The Nautical'  Op.14  1911
'Gymnasium'  march   pub. by Presser
'Swinging'  pub. by Presser

Song

Album of nine songs:  Little Fellow, The Miller's Daughter, Farewell, Legend, A Recollection, The Brook, Cease, Love Story, My Fair One.  pub. by Breitkopf & Hartel

Opera

'Our Last War' or 'Their Last War' ?

She also wrote some songs with orchestral accompaniment

Clara married Herman Ernst Korn  28.9.1884 and they had one daughter Mathilde Elise Korn  1886-1931

eschiss1

If this is Clara A. Korn, the Library of Congress catalog has her Nautical piano sonata Op.14, published in 1911 by Essex (Permalink), and some other works.

... could have sworn that wasn't there when I was typing that :) Ah yes. The other entry in their catalog seems to confirm this-
Clara Anna (Gerlach) Korn, 1866-. BTW, they list the play as "Their last war", not "Our". (Reference. :) It might be a second or related work rather than the same one, though! )

giles.enders

Thank you for the info.  The opera is sometimes listed as 'Their' and sometimes 'Our'  I suppose unless one looks at the the MS we wont know.  I have a feeling it might have been changed for 'political' reasons.