Heraclius Djabadary (1891-1937)

Started by kyjo, Wednesday 08 August 2012, 01:31

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Heraclius Djabadary (also spelled Erekle Dzabadari) is a very interesting Georgian composer. His Piano Concerto (no. 3) in A minor has been recorded on a now OOP CD with his Rhapsodie Georgienne, Le Melopee du Serpent, and Tiflisiana (the latter are like mini symphonic poems). There is only one copy left on Amazon US, and it's $40 >:(! Fortunately, his PC is 'on JCHBONNET's YouTube channel (but not the other works). Here's Mike Herman's brief bio of him:
"Born in Tblisi. He studied in Brussels with Arthur de Greef and also studied in Vienna. Most of his compositions are for solo piano."
Wikipedia's List of Compositions for Viola lists that he wrote a "Preludio for violin (or viola, or cello) solo, op. 17" (published 1953). Does anyone know anyone know about this elusive late romantic composer, who supposedly wrote at least 3 PCs ????

kyjo

I guess no one's interested in Djabadary :(!

Alan Howe

eschiss1

I remember participating in a thread about him back "in usenet days" I think but have not yet heard a note of his. Someone to look into, though...

kyjo

Thanks for replying, anyway, even if you don't have any info on Djabadary. He truly is elusive ::).

Christo

I heard his 'Tiflisiana' in the radio, in the 1970s, and bought the Quantum cd with the Rhapsodie Georgienne, Piano concerto No. 3, Melopee du serpent, and Tiflisiana long ago, for almost nothing.  :o

Will give it a spin now, triggered by your enthusiasm.  :)

britishcomposer

I don't want to spoil your enthusiasm and I haven't listened to his music yet but I did remember that I read one of those notorious Hurwitz reviews recently.
You can think about his writings what you want but it's fun anyway.  ;D

http://www.classicstoday.com/?s=Heraclius+Djabadary&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

Edit: You will have noticed that Djabadary's dates in the review are wrong: he died in 1937, not 1934. I wonder whether it was just a slip on the authors side or some kind of wicked intention...

Alan Howe

Well, there's nothing wrong with a good helping of kitsch - provided one doesn't take it seriously.

britishcomposer

Alan, I don't meant 'Djabadary is fun' but 'Hurwitz is fun.' Perhaps you misunderstood me. As I said, I haven't listened to any Djabadary so far.

petershott@btinternet.com

Worry not, BritishComposer. I read your post in the way you say you intended it - and a very broad smirk spread across the face. And I can't recall ever having had that reaction to Hurwitz before. He is on good form here!

Alan Howe

I didn't misunderstand you: I simply read what Hurwitz wrote about the music. If he's right, then the music is pure kitsch - and there's nothing wrong with that, provided one doesn't take it too seriously. The same's true of the Kohsaku/Kayama PC mentioned elsewhere: great fun, but hardly serious music.

kyjo

Hrm...Michael Herman lists his death year as being 1937, but the back of the Quantum CD lists it as being 1934 ::) . But the back of the CD cover is probably correct. And we shouldn't always believe everything Hurwitz says ;D!

pianoconcerto

Quote from: kyjo on Friday 10 August 2012, 02:35
Hrm...Michael Herman lists his death year as being 1937, but the back of the Quantum CD lists it as being 1934 ::) . But the back of the CD cover is probably correct. And we shouldn't always believe everything Hurwitz says ;D!

The text inside the Quantum CD's booklet states twice that he died in 1937.  The earlier Voxigrave LP issue also says 1937.

kyjo

That's strange! But unless the Amazon picture is wrong, the back cover surely says 1934. Oh well, death dates don't matter that much to me, especially if the two candidates for accuracy are pretty close together :).

fr8nks

I own the CD and I think the Piano Concerto is very enjoyable. Everyone I have played it for has tried to purchase the CD.