Charles-Wilfride de Beriot 1833-1914

Started by giles.enders, Saturday 01 September 2012, 11:00

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Charles-Wilfride de Beriot Born 12.2.1833 Paris  -  Died 22.10.1914 Sceaux-en-Gatinais

The illegitimate son of composer Charles Auguste de Beriot 1802-1870 and Maria Malibran.  His maternal grandfather was the composer and singer Manuel del Popolo Vicente Garcia 1775-1832.  Among Manuel's children were two daughters. Maria Felicia 1808-1836 who taking her husbands name was best known as the singer Maria Malibran.  Her sister Michelle Pauline 1821-1910 also took her husbands name and was the singer and composer Pauline Viadot-Garcia.

Charles -Wilfride's mother died and his stepmother, Maria Huber was the adopted daughter of the natural father of Sigismond Thalberg.  It was Thalberg who among others gave Charles-Wilfrede his music lessons.

Charles-Wilfride later became a professor at the Paris Conservatory where among his pupils was  Maurice Ravel.  He also taught Enrique Granados privately.

Orchestral

Piano Concerto No.1  Op.40    pub. by J Hamelle
Piano Concerto No.2  in C minor Op.46  1881   pub. by J Hamelle
Piano Concerto No.3  Op.71    pub. by J Hamelle
Piano Concerto No.4  Op.83   pub. by J Hamelle

Chamber

Piano Quartet in A minor  Op.50  pub. by J Hamelle 1881
Piano Quartet in D minor  Op.55   pub by J Hamelle
Flute Sonata  Op.64
Sonata for two pianos  Op.61

Piano

Tarantelle Op.3
La Revues 1855
Three Equisses for piano  1862
Ballad Op.12  1861   pub. by Schott
Mazurka  1862
Two Mazurkas  1863
Impromptu  1864
Valse Mignonne  Op.29
Valse 1872
Allegretto  Op.35
Le Courrier Op.31 1879  pub. by Alphonse Leduc
Ronde de Nuit  in F minor  1880   pub. by Durand, Schoenewerke & Cie
Rondo Martial
Scherzando  Op.39 1879  pub. by Durand, Schoenewerke & Cie.
Variations on an original theme
'La Sortie du Port' barcarolle
'A la Espanola, bolero  Op.60
Method - Mecanisms and Style  Op.66

Song

Desperance  pub. by J. Betrand
L'Espirit du Mal  pub. by J. Bertrand
J'etais sa Promise
Mon bon Ange
On me croit coquette
Ondine
Paola

Mark Thomas

My word, what a complicated family tree - in a later age he'd have been a shoe-in for "Who do you think you are"! I have a  recording of his Second Piano Concerto which I'll happily upload if it's of interest.

JimL

giles.enders

I would like it too.  I have been unable to trace the fourth concerto though is is referred to in various places.

Mark Thomas

The recording of the Piano Concerto No.2 is now available here.

semloh

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Saturday 01 September 2012, 12:04
The recording of the Piano Concerto No.2 is now available here.

I've searched high and low for the titles of the movements, but no luck at all. I think maybe it's one for Eric!  :)

Mark Thomas

The meister-researcher! BTW, I was in error in saying the source of the recording was an LP. It was a radio broadcast I now see.

eschiss1

I tried. Will keep trying. (And am flattered, but... er... erm... hush, Eric.)
If I may delegate (or rather, transfer approbation or blame) :) there seem to be copies of the Hamelle score - and/or 2-piano reduction - elsewhere - people near them may have more luck than me (I should think they would). One is at the University of Colorado at Boulder (in their Ricardo Viñes Piano Music Collection).  Another is in a library in Poland- will have to figure out which one; the Worldcat link is broken, but may still be able to by, well, using NUKAT more directly- will do soon.

Dubal claims that Viñes (one of Bériot's pupils...) played this work in his Paris début...
(Of course, programs/playbills of performances are one source sometimes of just such movement listings so if I can find -that-... maybe it's reproduced in a bio of Ricardo Viñes somewhere :) )

eschiss1

In Greene's Biographical Encyclopedia of Composers (page 1034): "his (Ravel's) teacher (in 1891- Eric) was Charles de Bériot (1802-70)..."

proofreader, proofreader, where is thy sting? (And David Mason Greene is actually rather good, too. Here I agree with my father...)

eschiss1

Cantrelle looks wrong, btw, but apparently several recordings by him (from 60 years ago or so) are mentioned at Worldcat, and indeed a recording conducted by him of "Charles-Auguste de Beriot" piano concerto no.1 (perhaps very badly mislabeled in both composer and piece and the 2nd concerto of Charles-Wilfrid yes...) seems to be in the BM Lyon library catalog (on 3 78s.)

Boulder

re: Charles-Wilfrid de Beriot's piano concerto #2, op. 46--
In the published version from the Ricardo Vines collection at the University of Colorado ("IIe concerto pour le piano avec accompagnement d'orchestre ou de 2e piano, " OCLC #50649800), the concerto is in two movements. The first is marked Allegro moderato; the second is marked Intermezzo (with a metronome mark of quarter note = 72), leading to Andante, leading to Allegro.

A pianist on the faculty of the music school happened to be in the library when I was inquiring about the de Beriot score. He is familiar with the library's holdings of music by both Charles-Wilfrid and Charles Auguste de Beriot. If contributors to UC have further questions, please e-mail me, and I will connect you with this generous man.

eschiss1

Thank you! (I wonder if they have the full score- their catalog lists only a reduction- but that information is already very useful and much appreciated. :) )

JimL

Quote from: Boulder on Saturday 15 September 2012, 19:02
re: Charles-Wilfrid de Beriot's piano concerto #2, op. 46--
In the published version from the Ricardo Vines collection at the University of Colorado ("IIe concerto pour le piano avec accompagnement d'orchestre ou de 2e piano, " OCLC #50649800), the concerto is in two movements. The first is marked Allegro moderato; the second is marked Intermezzo (with a metronome mark of quarter note = 72), leading to Andante, leading to Allegro.
I would say it's likelier that the tempo of the Intermezzo is Andante.  Intermezzo isn't a tempo indication but an actual title (like scherzo, or finale).

JimL

Is there any chance of finding out what the orchestra is on that download?

eschiss1

well, there are at least 4 piano concertos (all published by Hamelle, the first in 1881, from something I noted last night, I think...) - Opp.40, 46, 70 and 83. Wouldn't mind seeing (uploaded to IMSLP, would be my druthers) all 4 of them in some form (reduced, parts and or full-score), myself, assuming the publication dates on all 4 allow (I'd assume all 4 are even PD-US, but am not sure.)