News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Dirk Schäfer (1873-1931)

Started by Peter1953, Monday 31 December 2012, 15:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

I'm fascinated by this Dutch composer and concert pianist, who maintained such a highly critical attitude towards his own compositions, that only 19 opus numbers and a few works without opus number passed his criteria. I read somewhere that he even destroyed a piano concerto.

Although I only have a few pieces of chamber music (his wonderful Piano Quintet, the Violin Sonata No. 2 and the delightful Cello Sonata), his Suite Pastorale for orchestra thanks to the download section of UC, and a few piano pieces, his music gives me the impression that he must have been a very skillful and talented composer.

I've made a list of his works, based upon information on Wikipedia, archives of the Nederlands Muziek Instituut
and some additional information in booklet notes.

Works with opus number

Op.   1 – Zwei Lieder for mixed choir and orchestra
Op.   2 – Zwei Gesänge for mixed choir
Op.   3 – Eight Etudes for piano
Op.   4 – Sonata for Violin and Piano No. 1 in D major
Op.   5 – Piano Quintet in D flat major
Op.   6 – Sonata for Violin and Piano No. 2 in F major
Op.   7 – Rhapsodie Javanaise [Javanese Rhapsody] for orchestra
Op.   8 – Suite Pastorale in E major for orchestra (or piano solo)
Op.   9 – Sonate Inaugurale
Op. 10 – Three piano pieces
1.   Variations on an own dance theme
2.   Théatre-Variété Scenes
3.   Third Waltz
Op. 11 – Two sonatas for violin and piano
1.   No. 3 in ?
2.   No. 4 in B minor
Op. 12 – Six piano pieces
Op. 13 – Sonata for Cello and Piano in C major
Op. 14 – String Quartet in ?
Op. 15 – Eight piano pieces
1.   Allegretto simplice e tranquillo
2.   Andantino in B flat major
3.   Allegro molto
4.   Allegretto non troppo in C Sharp minor
5.   Wals. Moderato non troppo in B major
6.   Poco lento in G Sharp minor
7.   Wals. Con moto e largezza
8.   Presto in B minor
Op. 16 – Four songs
1.   Die Einsame in G Sharp minor for soprano or tenor
2.   Zomernacht [Summer night]
3.   Lenz
4.   Wenn ich Abschied nehme
Op. 17 – Five Interludes for piano
1.   Assai vivace (quasi presto)
2.   Andante sostenuto, ma non troppo
3.   Allegro vivace in B major
4.   Andante con molto espressione in B flat minor
5.   Allegro molto
Op. 18 – Toccata for piano
Op. 19 – Suite 'In de stilte' [In the silence]

Works without opus number

Three piano pieces
1.   Scherzo
2.   Impromptu
3.   Valse di Bravura
Quatre petits morceaux
Walzer
Barcarolle
Präludium und Fuge
Variationen auf eine Sequenz

Some titles are in Dutch, others in German and French. I've tried to translate a few into English.
This list is incomplete, surely has faults as well and can definitely be improved. Maybe members can add corrections and information?

I'm also interested in other members opinion of Schäfer's music.

petershott@btinternet.com

A very interesting profile, Peter. I haven't heard any of his works - but he is a name I keep bumping into, and for some time have intended to pursue. Given you attach the word "wonderful" to the Piano Quintet, I think I'm already quite sold on this composer!

There's a copy of the CD advertised on Amazon - but ridiculously expensive (and I dislike handing over money to those greedy sharks who lurk on Amazon). I shall try other places.

I notice that on this NM disc Schafer's Pf Quintet is coupled with one by Leander Schlegel. That sent me off on more research. There is a very full Schlegel website maintained by one Frans van Ruth. I wonder if you have any views on this other Dutch composer? (And I don't suppose he is of the same family as Friedrich Schlegel whose writings of course were one of the principal motivations of Romanticism? No - why should he be? After all, 'Schlegel' is not an uncommon name).

eschiss1

the slow movement of his piano quintet is re-(transfer-)broadcast over BBC Through-the-Night (and other Euroclassic Notturno stations), I know, though I haven't yet heard it. Will try to (and to hear the whole thing and other works of his, as I assume I'll enjoy it...)

jerfilm

I have long been fascinated by Schafer's music.   I have the Opus 7 on an old reel to reel tape.  And the Opus 8 Suite I have on a CD altho not being at home, I have no way of knowing if it was a commercial CD or one that I burned from some other source.   At least part of his Piano Quintet is available to listen to on YouTube.

Jerry

Happy New Year, everyone....... ::) ::)

chill319

A read-through of opus 18, the Toccata for Piano, shows Schäfer to have been an able keyboardist who, late in his career, wrote in a spiky tonal style. The piece sounds nothing like Ravel, but I suspect Schäfer knew "Le Tombeau de Couperin." Would be fun to hear Hough play this.

Peter1953

Yes, as a pianist Schäfer must have been a real virtuoso. In 1950 the Dutch musicologist Prof. Eduard Reeser (1908-2002) wrote that Schäfer had the reputation of "the greatest pianist this country has ever produced." See here.

A historical recording of his piano-playing is available on the NMI CD Nederlandse Pianisten (2010).

Balapoel

I refrained from commenting on this amazing quote by petershott, but I cannot help it now:

quote--
We come to the site surely to widen our knowledge and understanding of the works of unsung composers, test our own views, hunches and prejudices - and not to wade through innumerable shopping lists. Mere lists are for me a simple mug's game. We also got treated to supposedly authoritative statements promising enlightenment, but in fact which were nothing but thinly disguised bits of plagiarised text from elsewhere.

I was glad that all this got trimmed out, even though I regret the loss of a couple of previous contributors whose postings bristled with intelligence, knowledge and occasional good humour.
endquote--

Quote from: petershott@btinternet.com on Monday 31 December 2012, 16:06
A very interesting profile, Peter. I haven't heard any of his works - but he is a name I keep bumping into, and for some time have intended to pursue. Given you attach the word "wonderful" to the Piano Quintet, I think I'm already quite sold on this composer!

As one who has contributed many composer composition lists (most that could NOT be found on wiki or imslp), I was offended. I would think the purpose of such lists (such as this one on Schafer) are quite transparent. To aid in locating recordings and managing collections. Oh well...

Amphissa

For those who may have missed it, the orchestral version of his op 8 Suite Pastorale is available in the Archive Downloads, thanks to britishcomposer.

britishcomposer

I would rate his Sonate inaugurale op. 9 very highly. It sounds half-way between Brahms and Scriabine but is convincing nevertheless.
It was recorded by Jacob Bogaart in 1981 but I don't know if it has ever been re-released on CD.

http://www.discogs.com/Jacob-Bogaart-Nederlandse-Pianomuziek-Rond-1900/release/1987015