News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Wiktor Kazynski 1812-1867

Started by giles.enders, Tuesday 24 September 2013, 11:08

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Wiktor Kazynski  Born 12 December 1812 Vilnius, Lithuania   Died 18 March 1867 St.Petersburg, Russia

His full name is Wiktor Matveyevich Kaczynski, He initially studied law at Vilnius University and studied music privately with J D Holland.  While in Vilnius he composed several works for theatre.  From 1842 he lived in St.Petersburg.

Orchestra

Piano Concerto in F sharp 1847
Symphony in A major  1843
(some sources quote three symphonies)

Chamber

Duo Brillant for violin and piano

Piano

'Elizabeth' polka  pub. by C R Klever, St Petersburg.
Fantasie Brillante
Grande marche
La Tritesse, mazurka
Nocturne (first)
Nocturne (second)
Piece de Concert
Piece de Salon
Reverie in A major
Reverie in D minor
'Reve après un bal', fantasie
Rondo Brillante
'Salut a Allemagne' grand galop
Tarantelle
Tyrolienne in A major
'Valeria' grand valse
there are about 200 pieces for solo piano

Song

Barcarolle for mezzo-soprano and piano
Nocturne for mezzo-soprano and piano with cello obligato
Romance Russe for tenor or soprano and piano with cello obligato
'Three Blind Mice'  words by W Syrokomla
'Kitten on the Fence'  words by W Syrokomla
there are a total of 30 songs

Stage

'Beautiful Atlas, the would be witch'  incidental music  1830
'The Interrupted Wedding'  pantomime  1833
'Underground Foster-child'  incidental music  1839
'The Wandering Jew'  incidental music  1840
'Richard lll'  incidental music  1847

Opera

'The most remarkable meeting'  comic opera  1832
'Fenella'  comic opera  1840
'Antoni and Antosia'  comic opera  1840
'Husband and Wife'  comic opera  1845
Die Protektion der Demen'  operetta  1843

Christopher

Has anything of his been recorded?

eschiss1

btw, note Polish Wikipedia, Russian Wikipedia. Don't know if anything's been recorded, though checking under his Cyrillic name (without the middle name, and in surname, first name order, so Кажинский, Виктор ) reveals a fair number of pages on a fair number of sites, including Wikisource, which can often be interesting too (when translated- I don't read Russian, alas!).
I don't know if anything of his has been recorded yet. At a guess though, excerpts from his most famous operas may have been recorded at least on LP or earlier... (" Zyd Wieczny Tulacz" (Polish title), the Eternal Jew (given above as The Wandering Jew, but the latter is the title given. Maybe "The Immortal Jew". hrm.), is one? (I have no idea if he personally was Jewish, an Anti-Semite, or what... but that's the title, I gather... I think it's perhaps the tale of - well, you know the origin Kundry gives, in Parsifal?... something like that.)

eschiss1

There has been some modern interest (in the sense of new editions) shown in his work, at least. See here and look for the photo of the cat :) (name given as "Wiktor Każyński" ; some systems and browsers will ignore the diacriticals with a find command, some won't.)

Actually, sorry, that's not a modern edition, that is a recording. Worldcat turns it up - see here.

markniew

I've never heard about recording of Kazynski's orchestral works. From time to time Polish Radio broadcasts some songs by him registered for radio archives. But myself I am not a collector of songs

eschiss1

Some piano pieces (dances) of his were published in the 1840s and 1850s under the name V. Kazinski, I think (e.g. in a Collection de polkas et mazurkas caractéristiques published by Richault (see BNF mention mentioned (to set date) in the "Bibliographie de la France" for 12 January 1850.) Briefer (though not necessarily minor, of course) works, among the 200ish piano pieces mentioned above (don't know btw if that's "200 surviving" or 200 listed in a contemporary biography, some of which may have been lost since, etc. etc.);

but good to see some more of his music survives, besides that mentioned above, I think.

(My opinion of brief voice-piano works was changed fairly permanently when  I was exposed, not to Schubert's or Schumann's (I hadn't yet heard a really good, meaning-sensitive - etc. - performance of theirs yet anyway at that time), but to Nielsen's and Stenhammar's, but that's another topic...)