Katharine Emily Eggar 1874 -1961

Started by giles.enders, Thursday 30 January 2014, 10:42

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Katharine Emily Eggar  Born London 5 .1.1874  died 15.8.1961

Daughter of Thomas Eggar. She first studied music at The Royal Academy of Music, London, graduating in 1895.  This was followed by a period studying with Carl Klindworth at the Klindworth-Scharwenka Conservatory in Berlin and later concluded her studies at The Conservatoire Royal de Musique in Brussels studying principally with Arthur De Greef.
Her career had three main strands: as a pianist, a composer and a writer of a great many articles on musicology.  Most of her written works are now with The Senate House Library, London University.  In 1911 she was one of three women 1 who founded The Society of Women Musicians 1 whose archive is now with The Royal College of Music, London.  She left a considerable estate valued at £42,466.

Chamber

Piano Quintet in D minor and major  1906
Piano Trio in G minor  1905
Fantasy Trio for piano, violin and cello in E minor
Rhapsodic Impression for violin, viola and piano  1928
String Quartet  1931
Cello Sonata in C minor
Suite for cello and piano: Prelude, ballade, landler, finale  1908
Idyll for flute and piano  1910   pub. by Ruddall, Carte

Piano

Legends of the Norse Gods:  Wodin, Thor, Freia, Seater, Sun, Moon, Tiu.
Tarantella  1914   pub. by Stainer & Bell
Four characteristic sketches:  The Old Castle, The Wishing Well, Romance, At the Fair.
Moonrise  1906   pub. by Avison
Sun in Springtime  1935
Duets for Fun- eight short pieces for child and pianist  1934

Voice and Instruments

'I must go down to the sea tonight', scena for baritone and small orchestra
'My Soul is an enchanted boat' words by Percy Bysshe Shelley for voice and piano quintet, or piano and organ.
Trios: 'Autumn Leaves', 'May Wind' for first and second sopranos and alto with accompaniment of piano quartet ( also arranged for female choir and piano)  1909
'Pan in a City Stone' for soprano , baritone, with with flute and piano accompaniment
Six songs from Forbes 'Cantus, and I Fancies'  (17thC.)

Voice and Piano

'Hope of Spring, two part songs for female voices or soprano and baritone with piano
'Wolfram's Dirge' with piano and cello ad lib  words by Thomas Lovell Beddoes 1906  pub. by Avison
Cycle of Gaelic love lyrics
'Curtsy to the Moon'  words by H Taylor  1909  pub. by Chappell
'Old Gaelic lullaby' 
'A Fairy Barcarolle' (A lake and a fairy boat) words by Thomas Hood  1920
'May Wind' for three voices and piano  1909
'The Purple Moors'  1908
'Red Clover'
'Remember me, my Dear' from Forbes 'Cantus, songs and fancies'  1682- one of six  1909   pub. by Chappell
'Song of the Vagabond
'The Holly Bough and the Misletoe - A Christmas Carol  words by W E Grogan1909  pub. by J & W Chester

!.  The others were Marion Scott and Gertrude Eaton

Caroline31

Hello Giles.Enders! I am not sure how exactly this forum works, but I am researching Katharine Eggar and was wondering where you got the list of repertoire. I am looking specifically for her Rhapsodie Impression for flute, viola, and piano which was performed on BBC Radio in 1930. This page, and the list you have, is referenced in Wikipedia, but I can't find a similar list in Oxford Music Online or other places. Could you let me know your reference for this information? Thanks!

semloh

Caroline, you probably already know that there is a host of references to Katharine Eggar in:
Seddon L (2013) British Women Composers and Instrumental Chamber Music in the Early Twentieth Century. Ashgate, Farnham.
It includes extracts of her address to the SWN Inaugural Meeting, July 1911.
Her chamber works are listed as:
Wolfram's Dirge, 1v pf vc (1906), 1920. Brighton: J and W Chester RAM†
My Soul is an Enchanted Boat 1v str qrt. Date unknown
Piano Quintet (?1907). BMS 20
Trio G minor, piano, violin, cello. BMS 20
Sonata C minor, cello and piano. BMS 20
No mention of the Rhapsodie though.

The only other source I found, which I'm sure is familiar to you, Caroline, is this short collection of on-line material:
https://www.amazon.com.au/Katharine-Emily-Eggar-Dewayne-Aloysius/dp/6201503196

giles.enders

Hello Caroline,

Most of the information comes from the Royal College library. I also browse periodicals at the Barbican music Library for specific references. (I've posted information about 48 women composers on this forum)