Hermina Maria Amersfoordt-Dyk (Dijk)

Started by giles.enders, Monday 19 October 2015, 12:44

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Hermina Maria Amersfoordt-Dyk (Dijk)  Born 26.6.1821 Amsterdam  Died 16.7 1892 Amsterdam
Hermina was the third of ten children, her parents were Barent Dijk and Umca Cock.  She married Jacob Amersfoordt in 1852.
She initially studied the piano at the Felix Meritis Society and some time later, composition with Georg Bertelman and J Barnardus van Bree.

Orchestral

Concert overture No.1  Op.19  1854
Concert overture No.2
Piano Concerto
Violin Concerto

Chamber

Duet for violin and piano  Op.7   1850

Piano

Sonata  1854  lost ?
Andante grazioso  1882
Piano variations on 'Ma Normandie'  1838  lost ?

Song

Le Souvenir
Fischer madchen
Lieb Gruss

Choral

'Gottes Allgegenwart'  oratorio  Op.40 
'God omnipresente'  cantata  for soloists, choir and orchestra   pub. by Hofmeister
'Floris V'  cantata  for soloists, chorus and orchestra
'Anbetung'  cantata for soloists, chorus and orchestra
Hymn celebrating the reclamation of the Haarlemmermeer polder
Psalm XXll  for choir and piano

Theatre

Music for the play 'Willen Bardes'

Ilja

The "Felix Meritis" you speak of wasn't a person, but the main learned society (defunct since the 1880s, although their former, impressive headquarters on the Keizersgracht still bears its name) of Amsterdam.

Interesting to see that she was taught by Johannes Bernardus van Bree, who is an interesting figure also and one of the few Dutch composers that gets performed with any degree of regularity - particularly his Allegro moderato for four string quartets is a favorite.

Gareth Vaughan

Do we know if any of her music is extant? I can't find anything on COPAC.

eschiss1

Dutch Royal Library has 8 entries under Amersfoordt-Dijk, Hermina. Worldcat has 7 (including H M Amersfoordt-Dijk, too.)

COPAC is a good source for British composers- not a good first-and-only source for Dutch composers; be flexible :) (and use Google, Musicsack, Viaf.org, etc. to look up alternate spellings; Dyk didn't do anything, but Dijk apparently...)

In any case, don't give up after applying one resource to one spelling of one name :)

Gareth Vaughan

I admit I hadn't done a thorough search. (I am an experienced researcher and certainly wouldn't confine myself to COPAC for non-British composers. In fact, I was being lazy and hoping someone could save me that time!) But good tips for looking up alternative spellings - thanks, Eric.

giles.enders