News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Susan Spain-Dunk

Started by giles.enders, Saturday 28 November 2015, 11:34

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Susan Spain-Dunk  Born 22.2.1880 Folkestone, England  - Died 1.1.1962  London

Susan was the daughter of a house builder, the third of four children 1.  She was given Spain as a second name in compliment to the Spain family to whom  the Dunks were related.  She studied music with Stewart Macpherson and Richard Walthew at The Royal Academy of Music, London and later taught composition and harmony there.  For a time she played the viola in Walter Cobbett's private quartet. She conducted some of her own works at The London Promenade Concerts and also at Bournemouth.  In 1908 she married Henry Gibson 2

Orchestral

'Elaine'  Symphonic poem  1927  performed at the London promenade concerts
'Stone Henge'  Symphonic poem
'Kentish Downs'  Overture  performed at the London promenade concerts
'Waterlily Pool'  Overture for flute, harp and strings
'Weald of Kent' Fantasia for orchestra
Four Spanish Dances for piano and orchestra (orchestrated from piano works)
Cantilena for clarinet and orchestra  1930
Two Scottish pieces for orchestra  Op.54/1. 'By St.Mary's Loch', 54/2. 'Kerrera'  (also a version for violin and piano)
Idyll for strings  1925 performed at the London promenade concerts
Suite for string orchestra in B minor  1920  performed at the London promenade concerts  pub. by Goodwin & Tabb
'Serenade de Capri'  1928
'Karisima' 1928
'Farmer's Boy' for flute and strings  1929
'Andred's Weald ' - for military orchestra  1925
'Notre Dame d'Albert' tone poem  1931
'Highland Overture' 1935
'The Flute Player of Brindaven'  1939
'Blessed Sonya'  prelude
'Kentonia' concert march
Romantic piece for flute and strings  1925 performed at the London promenade concerts
Legend for oboe and strings  1955
'Cinque Ports' suite - 'Dover Castle', 'Rye Harbour', Winchelsea Gate'. 1958
'Malaya' tone poem  1958

Chamber

Phantasy piano trio in A minor  1907 (Cobbett prize)
String quartet in B flat minor
Phantasy string quartet in D minor  1915  pub. by Goodwin & Tabb
Trio for two violins and piano
Violin sonata in B minor 1908 (Cobbett prize)
Violin sonata in D minor
Violin sonata in C minor
'Lorelei' Legend for violin and piano  1933
'Dead Roses' for violin and piano
'Halligen' Scandinavian dance for violin and piano  1908   pub. by Cramer
'Springdas' Scandinavian dance for violin and piano  1908   pub. by Cramer
'Jaraba' Spanish dance for violin and piano  Op.57
'Winter Song' for cello and piano
Petite Serenade for flute and piano  1907   pub. by Rudall Carte
Two pieces for violin and viola 1. 'In the lonely moor'  2. 'Jig'
Sextet in F major  1941
Wind quintet

Piano

Six Spanish Dances - La Madrilena, El Jaleo, Aragonaise, Pepita, Cachucha, El Ole.  1936 - for were later orchestrated.
Prelude in D minor  1941

Choral 

'The Babtism of Jesus' cantata   1959

Ethel K Dunk  1876
John De Lanoy Dunk 1878
Susan Spain Dunk 1880
William Major Dunk1882

Henry Gibson 7.10.1882 - 22.7.1954  minor composer, violinist, organist and pianist. His marriage to Susan lasted about sixteen years.  There was one son, Alan Henry Gibson and two grandchildren.

eschiss1

Have noticed an interesting-looking string quartet (phantasy) @IMSLP (which has been recorded on CD along with quartets by Smyth and Beach); the "Kentish Downs" overture (a work given its world premiere on 30 Aug. 1926 at the BBC Proms) is @Youtube I see.

The suite for strings of 1920 was performed at the Proms for the first time in August 1924.
The Idyll and Romantic piece were performed @ the October 13 1925 Proms concert.
The quartet in B-flat minor can be dated to 1914- see http://library.leeds.ac.uk/special-collections-explore/8415/string_quartet_no1_in_b_flat_minor_composed_by_s.

BTW, Genealogy seems to suggest she was born in Kentucky (USA?), not in Folkestone, to parents from Folkestone?

giles.enders

Susan was most certainly born in Folkestone, England.  I am now in touch with her granddaughter and had earlier checked with the Public Record Office. If eschis 1 had an email address I could send him a copy of a substantial monograph written by her late son. 

tappell

I was fascinated to read that you have a monograph of Susan Spain-Dunk which I would be very interested to read if you wouldn't mind sending it to me.

It is of particular interest as I live in Folkestone where she was born, and I stumbled across her composition "The Kentish Downs", without realising she was born in Folkestone.

The Kentish Downs, are an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty in Kent, so I can well understand how Susan Spain-Dunk was inspired by them.

If you are able to send me the monograph it would be much appreciated.

cigleris

This is a great list, thank you. Does anyone know when the Cantilena for Clarinet and Orchestra was composed? I have found a performance reference for 1931 under the title 'Poem' for clarinet and orchestra.

Thanks

FBerwald

Cantilena for Clarinet and Orchestra  will be released in April 2021 on Signum Classics [through Hyperion] on a CD of  British Clarinet Concertos, some of the other works may be beyond the limit of our forum.

cigleris

How did you enjoy my recording of Susan's Poem Cantilena? It receives its US premier in July in Reno with the Reno Phil. Myself as soloist.

TerraEpon

Quote from: FBerwald on Tuesday 19 January 2021, 19:45
Cantilena for Clarinet and Orchestra  will be released in April 2021 on Signum Classics [through Hyperion] on a CD of  British Clarinet Concertos, some of the other works may be beyond the limit of our forum.

I don't think Hyperion actually distributes Signum, they just sell their discs digitally (as they do a few other UK labels) -- Signum's discs are available on all the streaming/download sites, whereas Hyperion keeps solely to their own website.

semloh

Cantilena is a beautiful piece, so sensitively played by our friend Cigleris. The georgeous, mellow clarinet playing is utterly seductive. The orchestral playing is precise and yet full of feeling, and perfectly balanced alongside the clarinet. To my ears at least, the whole CD is also a spectacular recording. This is my kind of music.  :) :)