Draeseke: String Quartets Vol 1, Op. 27 and Op. 35

Started by khorovod, Wednesday 02 October 2019, 09:27

Previous topic - Next topic

khorovod

An interesting new release coming from CPO in mid-Oct:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/felix-draeseke-streichquartette-op-27-op-35/hnum/8992780

I enjoyed the symphonies a lot but the chamber music isn't always easy to get hold of because of the obscure label it was on. Looking forward to this and should bring the music to a wider audience, hopefully!

Alan Howe

No.2 is an absolutely stunning masterpiece - better, IMHO, than any of Brahms' quartets.

Santo Neuenwelt

All three quartets previously recorded at least once. Holderlin Quartet on AK Coburg was one of those.

Kevin

QuoteNo.2 is an absolutely stunning masterpiece - better, IMHO, than any of Brahms' quartets.

High praise. My experience with Draeseke is limited to the stunning Tragic Symphony(I think we're still in need of a great performance) Is their an essential listening guide of his works?

I see in the description the two string quartets are favourably compared to late Dvorak, that would be lovely. If they're as inspired as those works it will be an instant purchase for me.

Alan Howe

There is no guide to Draeseke's works in book form, but you'll find more or less everything you need to know at the website dedicated to him and his music: https://draeseke.org/

You'll also find some audio excerpts from String Quartet No.2 here:
http://www.editionsilvertrust.com/draeseke-string-quartet-2.htm

Kevin

Nice site, thank you.

Are there any of his operas worth reviving you think? I vaguely recall many years ago hearing about a opera/oratorio in 4 parts about Christ... is that worth hearing? I must admit I enjoy meaty works to listen to... I just need to be persuaded if they're worth my time though.

Alan Howe

Christus is an almight bore, quite frankly - at least, it is in its only available recording. Don't bother! No idea about the operas, but there's plenty else to explore.

Mark Thomas

Alan's spot on. Avoid this recording of Christus, in Follert's hands it's tedium on a stick.

eschiss1

looking forward to hearing their take on #3 (which matesic recorded for IMSLP.)

chill319

Any recording of the Draeseke quartets is for me a must buy. Alan Krueck's selfless service to Draeseke has given many of us a chance to get acquainted with the master's quartets, splendid works all (even if his second string quintet, op. 77, may be the acme of his chamber music). But with works of this caliber, multiple perspectives on the scores are more than welcome, they're necessary. So CPO, thank you, but what took you so long?

Regarding Draeseke's dramatic works, to see how naturally vocal drama came to him, give his opus 1 a try: the 14+ minute scena Helga's Treue is on the CPO CD of Draeseke's Lieder.

eschiss1

What? cpo got to the string quartets before anyone but the AK-Coburg label... lovely though the 2nd string quartet seems to be (I -still- haven't heard the whole thing as yet, though the sample at Draeseke.org is a wonderful, harmonically subtle exposition) and the 3rd quartet is, it's not as though their recording will be facing much competition, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on the PoV.)

Kevin

I wonder what the digital release of this is now. I really wish they would release simultaneously on all platforms. It irks me that I'm being punished for pirates.

Mark Thomas

Blame the pirates, and YouTube and the other platforms abetting their piracy, Kevin, not the recording labels. They've got to make money or we wouldn't be enjoying this golden age for unsung recordings.

Kevin

Yeah, I suppose. Still, it's very frustrating... all I want is to get my mittens on these works!

Alan Howe

This is a wonderful CD. The level of understanding of this music evinced by the Constanze Quartet is simply breathtaking. I've said before and I'll say again that I can't see why these works aren't in the standard repertoire. They're intensely memorable and intensely felt - and their language is utterly unique.

Can't wait for volume 2 and String Quartet No.3.