Bowen Syms 1 & 2 from Chandos

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 25 March 2011, 23:12

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Not necessarily - the Vilem Tausky broadcast now in Folder 5 is very early (probably 1950s, there was also one conducted by Maurice Miles around 1951). That's half-a-century in which to lose a score!  :o

M. Henriksen

That's true, my point was that Bowen actually composed a third one. Some sources mention it, some don't. But as you say, the score could be anywhere. It's certainly not in my house, that's all I know.

Morten

Pengelli

Must say I personally couldn't get excited about the Second Symphony. It had a lovely slow movement but the rest of the work seemed to go absolutely nowhere. Just allot of aimless meandering & 'imposing' climaxes. I also remember the first movement had a theme that sounded strangely like the old tv advert for 'Fry's Turkish delight'. Not that there's anything especialy wrong with that.
I eventually sold the cd on Amazon. In fact,all my Bowen cd's seem to stay resolutely in the box.
Nevertheless,this is only my opinion & York Bowen obviously was a very talented pianist and composer & he certainly deserves more attention than allot of the pretentious drivel that's promoted by the so called critics. And maybe,maybe Chandos might be just the record label to convert me. There certainly was allot of very lush,beautifuly orchestrated music there which will surely benefit from the famous 'Chandos sound'.
Hope you all enjoy it & if it gets allot of praise here I might be tempted. (Only a few more loyalty points and I'll get my free Chandos cd!)
  I have to say I'm suprised about the comments here about the 'third symphony'. I seem to remember reading a comment somewhere comparing the third symphony with Rachmaninov,no less?!!!

Alan Howe

Bowen is often compared to Rachmaninov. Pretty silly really...

M. Henriksen

They both played the piano.. :)

Morten

Gareth Vaughan

According to the York Bowen Society website: http://www.yorkbowen.co.uk/works.htm
the 3rd Symphony is available from:

De Wolfe Ltd.
Shropshire House,
11-20 Capper St.
London WC1E 6JA
United Kingdom

info@dewolfemusic.co.uk

Tel: 020 7631 3600
Fax:020 7631 3700

Pengelli

To be fair,the comment was made by an admirer who was comparing quality of inspiration as opposed to superficial similarities. He just sounds like York Bowen to me!

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: Albion on Saturday 16 April 2011, 12:09
If you can't wait to find out whether it sinks or not, you can download now -

http://www.theclassicalshop.net/Details.aspx?CatalogueNumber=CHAN%2010670

BTW, Chandos claims that This recording presents his only two surviving symphonies, but other sites list Symphony No.3, Op.137 as available from the publisher de wolfe Ltd. There is, however, no reference to Bowen on their website - is any further clarification available?  ???

In his booklet note for the Danny Driver Hyperion recording of Bowen's 3rd & 4th Piano Concertos Glen Ballard writes: "A number of instrumental works appeared in the 1940s ... followed by his Horn Concerto and Symphony No 3 (the fourth is lost)" which invites the inference that the 3rd isn't lost, otherwise Mr Ballard would presumably have said so.  Is anyone else here aware of this Fourth Symphony?

eschiss1

the two Bowen works I've heard so far (I will go download the material here soon) are the 3rd piano concerto and the violin concerto, and they struck me the two or three times I heard them as very impressive.

Pengelli

Despite my negative comments above I must admit there WAS 'something' about the Bowen second symphony and the temptation to buy it & hear it in sumptuous Chandos sound may be such a temptation that if I try & resist I will eventually be dragged off on a stretcher foaming at the mouth.

Pengelli

I just listened to the samples via the above 'link'. This is sumptuous. I must say I rather like the sound of the first symphony. It all bodes well for a Chandos Holbrooke.

Jonathan

Not sure if anyone else has said this, but the symphonies are on BBC Radio 3 next week, along with various other works by him.
I shall be listening!

albion

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Saturday 16 April 2011, 21:33
According to the York Bowen Society website ... the 3rd Symphony is available from:

De Wolfe Ltd.
Shropshire House,
11-20 Capper St.
London WC1E 6JA
United Kingdom

info@dewolfemusic.co.uk

I'd already looked at the De Wolfe website and they seem most unlikely custodians of York Bowen's published and manuscript music, largely dealing as they do in 'mood-music' CDs.  ???

Nevertheless, I've emailed them to ascertain whether or not they do in fact hold scores and parts for the long list of items (especially Symphony No.3) detailed on the York Bowen Society webpage.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteNevertheless, I've emailed them to ascertain whether or not they do in fact hold scores and parts for the long list of items (especially Symphony No.3) detailed on the York Bowen Society webpage.

I spoke to someone at De Wolfe earlier this week. He didn't seem at all fazed by my enquiry about Bowen's music and promised to call back next week when he had had an opportunity to locate the relevant scores. However, I'm not holding my breath. Call me cynical, but if the response I get is that the scores can't be found, I shall not be surprised!

thalbergmad

I would have thought it highly unlikely that they did have it and even less likely it would be available.

I have ordered copies of some Bowen manuscripts in the past from the RAM and had to get permission from the Bowen family via their Solicitors.

Thal