Bowen Syms 1 & 2 from Chandos

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 25 March 2011, 23:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

Well, let's wait and see.  After all, one is entitled to ask why, if these scores are not held (or controlled) by De Wolfe, are they listed as such on the York Bowen Society's website.

albion

One entry under De Wolfe given on the York Bowen site is as follows -

Flute Concerto (lost)

- surely the implication of this is that the listing might well include other works which are no longer extant. In which case, as this is allegedly a list of works available from certain publishers, why include them at all?   ???

albion

I must say that I'm also rather dubious about the De Wolfe listing of -

Symphonic Suite No 1
Symphonic Suite No 2
Symphonic Suite No 4

- according to Monica Watson's York Bowen: A Centenary Tribute (Thames, 1984) there is the Suite, Op.57 and a Symphonic Suite (1942), but nothing else originally written for orchestra.

In fact the catalogue given in Watson and the listing given on the Bowen Society site simply do not correspond.  ::)

For reference, Watson lists the following -

Orchestra

Symphony No. 1 in G major, Op.4 (1902)
The Lament of Tasso (Symphonic poem), Op.5 (1902)
Concert overture in G minor, Op.15 (1903)
Symphonic fantasia (Tone poem) in F major, Op.16
Symphony No. 2 in E Minor, Op.31 (1909)
At the Play, Op.50
Suite, Op.57 -

1. Festive prelude
   2. Midsummer Night (Nocturne)
   3. Dance-Phantasy

Eventide (Tone poem), Op.69
Festal overture in D major, Op.89 (1929)
Fantasy overture on "Tom Bowling", Op.115
Symphony No. 3, Op.137
3 Pieces for String orchestra with harp ad lib., Op.140
Pierrette: A graceful dance
2 Characteristic dances
On a spring morning puck
Symphony No. 4 in G major
Symphonic suite (1942)
Miniature suite for school orchestra (ca. 1960)
Holiday suite

Concertante music

Piano Concerto No. 1 in Eb Major, Op.11 (1903)
Piano Concerto No. 2 in D Minor "Concertstück", Op.17 (1905)
Piano Concerto No. 3 in G Minor "Fantasia", Op.23 (1907)
Viola Concerto in C Minor, Op.25 (1906)
Violin Concerto in E Minor, Op.33 (1913)
Rhapsody for Violoncello and Orchestra, Op.74
Piano Concerto No. 4 in A Minor, Op.88 (1929)
Concerto for Horn and String Orchestra, Op.150
Sinfonietta concertante for Brass and Orchestra
Jig for 2 Pianos and Orchestra

albion

Regarding the 4th Symphony, rather than being 'lost' it appears that it was never completed to any great extent: in the RAM library there is an 8-page short score (MS 1380) with the following note -

Nov 8th 1961 2 weeks before death 8 pages short score 4th symphony

Although not nearly so problematic as the Holbrooke catalogue, it seems as though there is clearly a large degree of confusion regarding York Bowen!  :o

Gareth Vaughan

I must agree that the entry "Flute Concerto (lost)" gave me pause - but all this speculation is simply that until we hear back from De Wolfe.

albion

As suspected, I've just had a reply from Frank Barretta, Senior Music Consultant at De Wolfe to say that

Although we do publish a number of works by York Bowen, unfortunately we do not have either the full orchestral score or any orchestral parts for Symphony No.3, Op.137.

As the score is not held in the Royal Academy library (the main depository of Bowen manuscripts) either, it begins to look as though it is indeed a casualty of neglect or destruction.  :(

albion

Whatever the all-too-evident problems surrounding the survival of Bowen's 3rd Symphony, the new Chandos recording of No.2 (broadcast this afternoon on Radio 3) is a real triumph for all concerned (comprehensively eclipsing the Classico account).

Sir Andrew Davis gives an exemplary interpretation of this richly-romantic score and the playing of the BBC Philharmonic is superb: this should win Bowen many new admirers.  ;D

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteAs suspected, I've just had a reply from Frank Barretta, Senior Music Consultant at De Wolfe to say that

Although we do publish a number of works by York Bowen, unfortunately we do not have either the full orchestral score or any orchestral parts for Symphony No.3, Op.137.

As the score is not held in the Royal Academy library (the main depository of Bowen manuscripts) either, it begins to look as though it is indeed a casualty of neglect or destruction. 

Well, I can't say I'm altogether surprised. It's an old story. However, we do have that recording, so the work is not lost altogether and could be reconstructed. I shall get in touch with de Wolfe and ask them what York Bowen scores they do possess. At least we'll know then and if some of us can ask to see them for study purposes we can get photocopies made for posterity.

Dylan

Agree with Albion - based on one distinctly underwhelmed hearing of the old Bostock/RNCM recording of Symphony 2 I genuinely wondered why Chandos was (were?) even bothering; in the event the new performance is something of a revelation; ok, not a massively individual voice, but plenty of real living music (especially in the splendidly muscular first movement), and eminently worthwhile. Just goes to show how critical "first"recordings are. (& I shouldn't even really make that claim about lacking an individual voice until I'm much more familiar with the idiom; how many times have critics made the same complaint about unfamiliar composers (George Lloyd, for example) who then turn out to posses a strikingly individual sound-world?)

albion

I think that Bowen has an individual voice, albeit a subtle one - certainly harmonically. Listening to the three symphonies, the four piano concertos, the violin concerto, the viola concerto, Eventide, the Festal Overture, the Sinfonietta Concertante and the Rhapsody for Cello certain progressions and orchestral traits become apparent.

If asked to recommend a few works to the curious, I would probably plump for Symphony No.2, Piano Concerto No.3 and Eventide - all gorgeous stuff!  :)

albion

In answer to an email enquiry, I've just had the following reply from Glen Ballard of the York Bowen Society -

I understand that the 3rd symphony is now lost.  However, the Sinfonia Concertante was recorded not long ago by the BBCSO (Dutton) so De Wolfe should have the parts.

This is great news as far as the Sinfonietta Concertante is concerned, but most unfortunate as regards Symphony No.3 - nevertheless, we now have the crucial recording in the BMB archive.

I've alerted Ms Ballard and Dutton to the survival of this broadcast performance and the fact that it may be possible to reconstruct the work in something close to it's original form.

Gareth Vaughan

I hate to add a note of pessimism here, but I had a similar e-mail from Glen Ballard stating: "...But De Wolfe should have the Sinfonia Concertante since this was recorded not that long ago by the BBCSO conducted by Vernon Handly (Dutton)!"  Tod Handley has not been with us for some time. Those two Bowen disks he did for Dutton were actually with the BBC Concert Orchestra and date from 2006-7. Neither contained the Sinfonietta Concertante. I don't think he has come back from the grave to take up the baton again for British unsung composers, much as we might wish it.
I have queried Mr Ballard's information, but had no reply as yet.

albion

Gareth, I sincerely hope that this is not another hope dashed! Glen (Ms not Mr) Ballard has been very helpful with regard to enquiries but is perhaps not infallible (rolls eyes  ::) as yet another major Bowen score potentially disappears down the khazi of neglect  >:().

eschiss1

looking through Cadensa one of the few Bowen orchestral works I see that doesn't seem to come from CD (and maybe it does too?) is a broadcast of his horn concerto. Ifor James (1931-2004) (horn)/Maurice Miles/City of Belfast Orch. (That is, not the same recording as on Lyrita. I don't know the piece, anycase.)

Alan Howe

Lest we think these may be two undiscovered masterpieces, instead of two enjoyable symphonic footnotes...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/apr/28/york-bowen-symphonies-1-and-2-review