The Unsung/Sung Composers Unwritten Work Wish List

Started by EarlyRomantic, Thursday 31 March 2011, 03:54

Previous topic - Next topic

ahinton

Chopin's Piano Quintet - the one that he'd not have written until he was at least 70, mind...

Gareth Vaughan

Litolff's Symphony - his orchestration is excellent, as well as his mastery of form (witness the PCs); he was admired by no less a figure than Berlioz
Tausig's Piano Concerto (a great virtuoso, it would surely have been a barnstorming creation - it is mentioned by Dannreuther in his Grove article, so may have existed at one time, but opinions differ on that question)
Zarebski's Piano Concerto  (much the same as with Tausig above - it is thought that Zarebski wrote a PC, but the evidence is slim and no MS has so far appeared)
Ethel Smyth's Piano Concerto (mentioned before, I know) - there's a lady who could give a good account of herself in music
Tchaikovsky's Requiem - given the glorious passion and lyricism of his music, it would have been interesting to see what he made of the traditional Latin Mass text
Herz's Concerto for Coloratura soprano - in his PCs the piano lines (esp. in the slow movts, but elsewhere too) are very vocal
Richard Strauss's Konzertstück for 4 Wagner Tubas & orchestra - Strauss' horn concertos are brilliant and effective pieces; it would be fun to hear that facility translated into something for Wagner tubas

jerfilm

Mrs. Beach's Piano Concerto #2 (rumored to exist at one time......)
Moszkowski - another piano concerto
Arensky - cello concerto
Glazunov - cello concerto, piano concerto #3
Mahler - a concerto of some kind.  Perhaps cello or violin, a venue to showcase those lovely bittersweet  melodies like the ones in the 9th and 10th symphonys.

Jerry

X. Trapnel

Bruckner, ballet-pantomime Pierrot and the Wood Nymph
Gershwin, The Last Seven Words of Christ
Pettersson, Divertimento
Delius, Passacaglia and Fugue on a Moravian Hymn Tune
Ebenezer Prout, Psyche et Eros

semloh

It would be interesting if people could give at least a passing rationale for their wish list. This one is obviously for amusement -  like wishing that Mahler had written tangos!  ;D

eschiss1

Re Glazunov cello concerto- what, his concerto-ballata (in C, Op.108) isn't enough? ??

Delicious Manager

Quote from: kolaboy on Thursday 12 May 2011, 20:51
I wish Holst had written the theme song for the TV programme "Minder" Or at least arranged it for brass.

Seriously though, I wish Finzi had completed a piano concerto; that Sibelius had not destroyed his 8th symphony; that liszt had finished St. Stanislaus; and that Mendelssohn had completed his Christus oratorio...

We have Finzi's projected middle movement of the Piano Concerto he started to write in 1927 - the Eclogue. It was no so named by Finzi, but added by a sensitive publisher wanting to suggest its quiet, pastoral character of the music. It is a beautiful creation and makes one hungry for the remainder of the work that Finzi never wrote.

Jimfin

I believe the 'Grand Fantasia and Toccata' was another movement of the same projected concerto

britishcomposer

Alan Howe

britishcomposer

Okay, I would like to have Leevi Madetoja's projected 4th Symphony. Erkki Salmenhaare mentioned that Madetoja also planned a violin concerto and a Finnish Parsifal. According to Salmenhaara 'various misfortunes, but above all decades of hard work and financial worries undermined the composer's health' and his projects came to nothing.

BTW, wasn't there a lady a few decades ago who wrote down works which dead composers 'dictated' her from beyond? So I think we should try to find such a medium and ask her if she could coax our favourite composers to stream a few masterworks via the aether.  ;D

This lady was criticised because she could offer only small piano pieces. If Bruckner cared to give us further samples of his genius wouldn't he choose something more spectacular? Finishing his 9th symphony perhaps?

Well, I don't believe this story but let's imagine a little supernatural dialogue:

Lady: Great spirit of Anton Bruckner, would you do me the honour of dictating a piece of music to me?
Spirit of Bruckner: What a great chance! I long to finish my symphony for ages!!!
Lady: Oh, I am sorry, my musical abilities are not sufficiant enough to deal with the big stuff. Would you mind offering me a little waltz instead?
;D

britishcomposer

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Monday 17 September 2012, 21:32
Tchaikovsky's Requiem - given the glorious passion and lyricism of his music, it would have been interesting to see what he made of the traditional Latin Mass text

I don't think he could have warmed to that idea. Do you know the story about the projected requiem to a poem by Apukhtin?

http://www.tchaikovsky-research.net/en/people/apukhtin_aleksei.html

Alan Howe

Lionel Harrsion

Given that this subject of this thread takes us into the world of complete fantasy, and also that some of the most interesting 'conversations' in the blogosphere arise tangentially, must we be herded back to the point quite so peremptorily?

Mark Thomas

Lionel, I'd like to hear more about your conversation with Rosemary Brown, so may I suggest that you start the ball rolling in a new thread?

I've moved the Rosemary Brown posts to a new thread here.