News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Martucci 2nd concerto

Started by eschiss1, Friday 01 April 2011, 13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

just wanted to say I found what definitely looks like a not-quite-ready-for-publication, in-progress (but I should emphasize- for fans like me, very interesting) manuscript of Martucci's 2nd piano concerto scanned in at the Italian scanning clearing house (Internet Culturale, a very interesting resource if you don't know it, not limited to Italian music- there's music by JB Cramer there for instance... - though it helps to limit the advanced search to autografo or manoscritta or something similar in one of the fields to prevent lots of early recordings from turning up along with the manuscripts. though it's interesting to know that some works were recorded that one thought never were, of course...
Uploaded the Martucci to IMSLP of course and some other things too and others did likewise - a template exists on IMSLP whose use is encouraged to link one's uploads back to the original Internet Culturale catalog description pages, as often with these resources.  but there's something like 15000 manuscripts still on the site, mostly out of copyright - haven't made a dent. this sort of stuff is such fun- sorry to ramble. anyhow re the Martucci- the tempo indications of the outer movements seem to be straight Allegro (not the Allegro giusto and con spirito of the final published version), there's lots and lots of cross-outs - including an x-ed out Andante introduction to the opening movement ... (I wonder what that might have sounded like, instead of the call to arms that does open the work... yes, certain very famous composers have sketches full of such things, of course too.) just finding this intriguing. and if I'm ever asked to revise the preface I wrote to the MPH edition of the concerto, wondering if I should mention this... probably!

Eric