News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Rufinatscha alert!

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 09 April 2011, 14:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

They were in the Library of the Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde in Vienna!!

alberto

I apologize in protracting a mere digression. Salieri (reply 5) was by birth (1750) citizen of the Republic of Venice. He emigrated to Wien around 1770. Anyway the Republic of Venice was annexed to the Austrian Empire in 1798. 

Alan Howe

Well, now that scores have been examined and experts consulted, it turns out that the string parts discovered are from a hitherto completely unknown Symphony in C minor and definitely not No.4 in the same key. This is the definitive news that has come from Innsbruck this afternoon...

Peter1953

What an exciting news.... What can we expect in the (hopefully near) future?

Gareth Vaughan

Quotea completion is being made by a leading Austrian composer
May I ask what the basis is for this "completion", other than the string parts? I mean are there any short score sketches, or even a list of the instrumentation, which would usefully inform any completion - or will it be an imaginative realisation of the work based solely on the string parts?

eschiss1

offtopic, did Johann Rufinatscha have a relative named Josef or Joseph? a Jos. Rufinatscha published two sonatas around the same time Johann published his music, but in different keys, with a different publisher,...

Alan Howe

Quote from: eschiss1 on Saturday 16 April 2011, 22:57
offtopic, did Johann Rufinatscha have a relative named Josef or Joseph? a Jos. Rufinatscha published two sonatas around the same time Johann published his music, but in different keys, with a different publisher,...
Dunno, Eric. More details, please!

Alan Howe

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Saturday 16 April 2011, 20:46
Quotea completion is being made by a leading Austrian composer
May I ask what the basis is for this "completion", other than the string parts? I mean are there any short score sketches, or even a list of the instrumentation, which would usefully inform any completion - or will it be an imaginative realisation of the work based solely on the string parts?

All I can tell you is that only the string parts have survived, so the completion must be a work of imaginative re-composition.

Mark Thomas

Are all four movements extant, Alan? Presumably the Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde's library has ben scoured for the missing parts before deciding to embark on a reconstruction?

JimL

If they can find something like that there, I still insist that there's probably a whole lot of undiscovered stuff waiting to be found.

eschiss1

Actually, I'm not sure about the Josef. It's "Jos." if I'm reading right and the rest is conjecture.  Works attributed by Hofmeister to Jos. Rufinatscha include a piano sonata in F op9 (November 1857 HMB), perhaps also this piano sonata in F minor op.5 (attributed to J. Rufinatscha but the publisher is the same - Witzendorf- as for the F major sonata and matches no work I, anyway, know of for Johann- see November 1847 HMB.)

I see that Taufere Musi.com?? mentions a Josef Rufinatscha... oh. that's a 20th century one. never mind that one...
musicsack.com and viaf know of only Johann, it's true.

I was trying to prepare, earlier- this is tangentially connected but informs my attitude as it were - a worklist for Robert Radecke (or rather to add to the one that exists on IMSLP ) -  and noticed that in HMB-at-rhul.ac.uk there are multiple entries, e.g. two opus 1's attributed to "Radecke, R."; then I found out that Robert had an older brother named Rudolf (R.!) who was also a composer - and some of the "Radecke" hits were, indeed, "Radecke, Rud.", further clarifying, and consistent with a hypothesis that some of the earlier "R."s had been Rudolf, starting composition a bit later than his younger brother... this increases my caution (already existing of course) with HMB and other goodish references (Worldcat is not a "good" source) by a bit.
this mentions lieder von Joseph Rufinatscha from the Tirol museum, tho'...
Eric

Alan Howe

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Sunday 17 April 2011, 01:42
Are all four movements extant, Alan? Presumably the Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde's library has ben scoured for the missing parts before deciding to embark on a reconstruction?

Yes, all four movements are extant - and the library has been duly scoured!!

Peter1953

Whilst listening to Rufinatscha's majestic Sixth on Chandos, I was wondering if there is some more news?
And I must say what Eric has discovered is quite interesting as well. Who is the composer Joseph Rufinatscha, whose songs were performed on 23 October 2009 in the Tiroler Landesmusem? The same Jos. who composed a sonata in F, op. 9? But then, did our Johann use opus numbers? Maybe Manfred Schneider knows the answer.

eschiss1

yes- Johann Rufinatscha's symphony no.6 was his opus 13, for instance (and his last published works of 1878 were around opus 15 or so.  His works that appear in the Hofmeisters Monatsberichte generally do appear with opus numbers, in fact :) )

a.b.

I have heard:

The "new" C minor Symphony by Rufinatscha is NOT identically with the piece and the three-movement torso of Symphony No.4 in C minor which we only have in piano four-hands form: It is a completely different piece. It is uncertain what period it dates from, probably later than the 6th or before? It was found not in the Library of the Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde in Vienna – but in the Library of the Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum.

There is a reconstruction (re-composing) of the wind-parts by Michael FP Huber.
There will be two performances this year:

Symphony in c-Moll &  3 Concerto Arias (Der Schwur am Grabe der Mutter,
Die Erwartung, Ingebors Klage)

Sunday  24. November 2012, 20 h
Mals, Aula Magna Oberschulzentrum, Italy

Saturday, 25. November 2012, 17 h
Innsbruck, Kaiser-Leopold-Saal der Theologischen Fakultät

Belinda Loukota (Soprano), Andreas Mattersberger (Bassbariton)
Orchestera of the Akademy St. Blasius
Karlheinz Siessl

www.tiroler-landesmuseum.at/userupload/9468_TLM_Folder_rufinatscha.pdf