Sung composers, Unsung works

Started by giwro, Wednesday 20 April 2011, 15:59

Previous topic - Next topic

dafrieze

Tchaikovsky's Tempest overture is probably my favorite of his orchestral works (apart from the symphonies and concertos).

kolaboy

Jaromír Weinberger - though he's becoming rather unsung. The "Polka & Fugue" used to be a concert staple, but I've never heard the entire Schwanda opera from which it's taken. And, he wrote a huge amount of music in various genres apart from his one "big" hit.

Gaspare Spontini - La Vestale is performed a bit more often than Halley's Comet makes it's appearance, but it's still primarily his "hit". I'd love to hear Nurmahal, or Alcidor for a change.

Sibelius' Kullervo. Though I must say in recent years it has begun to garner the degree of respect that it deserves.

eschiss1

last time this thread came up, Haydn's operas were mentioned- and I still agree.
Sibelius - piano music, chamber music, songs.
Nielsen likewise (though his opus 1 suite gets reasonably regular airings.)
Elgar- the partsongs, especially the beautiful opus 53 set (with There is sweet music to open, and the odd - only a compliment intended from me! - "Owls" to close!) - and the string quartet later on (the Piacevole especially often returns to me.)
Mozart: K505 "Ch'io mi scordi di te" (Piano, voice, orchestra Scena- as Girdlestone mentioned, practically played not at all when he was writing his book (revised edition) on Mozart's concertos, and the situation has improved but not much. I've heard it - a couple of times I think. It is remarkable...)