Largest audience ever for a Charles H. H. Parry concert

Started by edurban, Saturday 30 April 2011, 06:07

Previous topic - Next topic

edurban

3 billion worldwide heard excellent performances of Jerusalem and Blest Pair of Sirens at the Royal Wedding.  Brilliant!

David

albion

3 billion worldwide also endured enjoyed the latest soporific superb offering from John Rutter.  ;)

ahinton

Statistics aside, that was perhaps a part of the problem; why did that event almost trun into a Parry concert (3 items of his, no less) with a royal wedding attached.

Never mind the ever-predictable Rutter - the recent Welsh offering wasn't a whole lot better. In fact, the only musical non-disappointment in the entire proceedings was arguably Walton's Crown Imperial, a piece so skilfully crafted that I never fail to crease up with laughter at the sheer expertise of the utterly delightful tongue-in-both-cheeks-at-once pomp-and-circumstantial send-up that it is; such a shame that the latter part of it was largely drowned out by the sounds of bells as the newlyweds emerged from the Abbey...

Hovite

Quote from: ahinton on Saturday 30 April 2011, 08:08
Statistics aside, that was perhaps a part of the problem; why did that event almost trun into a Parry concert (3 items of his, no less) with a royal wedding attached

At a quick glance, all the music was British, apart from one work each from Bach and Widor. This obviously narrowed the available choice, but, even so, it doesn't explain why there was no Elgar, Sullivan, or Coates (to name but three).

mbhaub

I didn't watch any of this, so I'm curious: would the uneducated viewer know who wrote any of the music? Did Walton, Widor, or Parry get a mention? Given the newlywed's known lack of interest in classical music, I'm surprised they didn't have more hip, popular music.

John H White

If the Royal Couple are so fond of Parry's choral stuff, and they apparently chose all the music themselves, I wonder if they are familiar with any of his orchestral music. Maybe someone could send them a CD of Parry's 3rd & 4th symphonies a a belated wedding gift?

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: edurban on Saturday 30 April 2011, 06:07
3 billion worldwide heard excellent performances of Jerusalem and Blest Pair of Sirens at the Royal Wedding.  Brilliant!

David

Don't forget 'I Was Glad' too!  I think the choice had Prince Charles (God bless 'im) stamped all over it.  I agree with the comments from colleagues above about the dismal Rutter and the insipid modern Motet.

edurban

"...Don't forget 'I Was Glad' too!  I think the choice had Prince Charles (God bless 'im) stamped all over it..."

Ah, I came in too late for that. 

The names of the pieces and their composers appeared on the tv screen.  The announcer also mentioned all the names, including the poets.  Class act. 

David 

Alan Howe

Considering what might have been served up, I think we can be thoroughly grateful. Nevertheless, I always wonder what Jerusalem has to do with anything; after all, the answer to the first line is: "No!" If it wasn't for the utterly glorious music...

febnyc

What an appalling batch of sour pusses, complaining about the music at the wedding.  Who cares what was played when the occasion was such a glorious spectacle.

The colors, the pomp, the tradition, the beautiful cars, horses, the magnificent setting at Westminster Abbey.  I watched most live via BBC TV and the coverage was marvelous.  The real early bits, which I missed, were rebroadcast in the evening and I sat through the whole thing again.  I marveled, as I always do, at the restrained jubilation (an oxymoron, perhaps, but my description) of the British people - how civilized they can be, even with their flags, funny hats and costumes.  There was no violence, no breaking of barriers - just plain constraint and joy.

This is the real life version of the eternal fairy tale - the Jane Doe who grows up to marry a Prince.  I mean it is the stuff of every little girl's dreams.  When the young couple were in the coach from Westminster to the Palace it looked almost like a scene from a Disney movie or, perhaps, from a certain Tchaikovsky ballet.

In our increasingly depressing world - with the lunacy and murder going on in the streets to the extent that the world news almost becomes unbearable to watch - with all of the ugliness and misery devolving on humankind, here we are treated to a day of glorious splendor and pageantry.  No one can do this like the Brits, God bless 'em, and I am thrilled to have witnessed it all.

So, I wallowed in the pomp and in the choral pieces - and I cared not a whit what was chosen and who chose it.  And I thought the Rutter piece, by the by, was quite lovely, especially performed by those intent little boys in the choir.  And Jerusalem is mighty, inspiring and perfect in that place.  Just grand all around!

edurban

"...Nevertheless, I always wonder what Jerusalem has to do with anything; after all, the answer to the first line is: "No!"..."

But after the gloomy questions of the first half, the second half of Jerusalem is all about striving towards the highest possible level of moral achievement and never giving up.  Not a bad recipe for a successful marriage ;) !

Not to mention that the glorious music was served up in a scaled-down version of Elgar's equally glorious arrangement... 

Of course, I would listen to Jerusalem with a lump in my throat if it were played at the opening of a laundromat.

David

thalbergmad

It was an uplifting occasion that provided temporary relief from all the hatred and anger in the World.  A great day for us English and we showed the World how we can put on a truly huge event.

The Police did an excellent job in keeping away those who would wish to destroy an event like this and just for once, us English could hang out our flags and celebrate without being harassed by idiots worrying about offending minorities.

These two young people who are deeply in love, have given the anti Monarchists a kick in the nuts which has killed their cause for a generation and to make things even better, Blair & Brown were not invited.

Thal

Alan Howe

Lionel Harrsion

JimL

Quote from: febnyc on Saturday 30 April 2011, 18:15The colors, the pomp, the tradition, the beautiful cars, horses, the magnificent setting at Westminster Abbey.  I watched most live via BBC TV and the coverage was marvelous.  The real early bits, which I missed, were rebroadcast in the evening and I sat through the whole thing again.  I marveled, as I always do, at the restrained jubilation (an oxymoron, perhaps, but my description) of the British people - how civilized they can be, even with their flags, funny hats and costumes.  There was no violence, no breaking of barriers - just plain constraint and joy.
I was just going to toss in my dittos from the Left Coast.  Things weren't so civilized in a certain park in Glasgow.