Rota Concerto Soirée for piano and orchestra

Started by alberto, Sunday 08 May 2011, 15:31

Previous topic - Next topic

alberto

I understand that Chandos has released in U.K. (Chan. 10669) a new recording of "Concerto Soirée" (1958)  for piano and orch. by Nino Rota (soloist B.Douglas; cond. G.Noseda, Orch. Fil.Teatro Regio, Torino - contains also Divertimento Concertante for Double-bass and orch. and Symphony n.3). (At least four other recordings of Concerto Soirée exist or existed; I have two, between them one dating from 1962 with the composer as soloist).
In past  posts I read appraisals for Poulenc Piano Concerto and Concerto for two Pianos and orch.
The Rota Concerto Soirée (there are three other piano concertos by Rota) is not quite  of equal value. But I would say it has the features to be mentioned here and possibilities to be appreciated.
If someone wishes to listen a bitter-sweet (actually more sweet than bitter) piano concerto, extremely tuneful, cast in five short movements (about 20'), this could be the work for her/him.
I have to point out that the Concerto uses, here and there, bits of music already appeared (in 1958), or to appear later, in some Fellini's movies.