News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Cipriani Potter 1792-1871

Started by giles.enders, Thursday 16 June 2011, 11:25

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Cipriani Potter seems to have been of interest to many on this forum and in my view rightly so.  The Royal College in London organised one day forums on Parry, Hurlstone, and Sterndale Bennett which seemed to start the ball rolling for a revived interest in these composers.  As next year will be the 220 anniversary of Potter's birth, I am wondering about the possibility of a one day seminar.  It would need to be a Royal Academy affair not Royal college as that is where he was.  I don't have any contacts there.  I wonder if there is any interest in this.

Gareth Vaughan

I'd be very interested. But, unfortunately, I have no contacts at the RAM, except for a passing acquaintance with the librarian.

giles.enders

I am attending The BMS AGM tomorrow so will sound out the people there.  They tend to favour more contempory British composers though.

giles.enders

Does anyone know of any descendents ofr Cipriani Potter.  A number of people have expressed interest in a one day seminar about him and his music. 

John H White

Back in 1992, I wrote a stiff letter on cardboard to the then editor of BBC Music Magazine, complaining that they had failed to celebrate Potter's bicentenary in any way. I'll give her her due; she did print it in the next issue, but failed to act upon it. Anyway, I think your suggestion, Giles, is an excellent one. Whether I shall be able to attend myself, however, remains to be seen