Concertos for Unsung Instruments

Started by saxtromba, Tuesday 10 May 2011, 16:15

Previous topic - Next topic

thalbergmad

There is a piano concerto that includes someone narrating verses from Moby Dick.

Have not got me notes to hand and have forgotten who composed it.

Thal

albion

According to some sources, Saint-Saens' Piano Concerto No.2 was originally written for pedal-piano (pedalier):

Then, of course, there are - Didgeridoo Concertos by Mark Atkins (1994) and Sean O'Boyle, and a Triangle Concerto by Mike Hannickel.

;D

alberto

Reply 15.
I know a "Concerto dell'Albatro" by Giorgio Federico Ghedini for piano, violin, cello and orchestra with one reciter. The text is from "Moby Dick".
That is not completely unsung. I have attended two actual performances. There were also a couple of recordings (one, "live", had the verses in Herman).

thalbergmad

Lionel Harrsion

TerraEpon

Hey now, a triangle is pretty hard to play....especially Brazillian style.

TerraEpon

While obviously the human voice is the least unsung instrument of all, a /concerto/ for it isn't exactly common. So I think Gliere's Coloratura Concerto could count here.

albion

... and the unfinished Lyra Celtica (Concerto for Voice and Orchestra), Op.50 by John Foulds.

fuhred

A superb concerto for Cello and Chinese Orchestra called 'Endless Way' by Kwan Nai-chung is well worth investigating on the Hugo label (HRP 772-2).