d'Indy vol.5 from Chandos

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 28 February 2013, 08:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

petershott@btinternet.com

Ah, now lifted from the doldrums! It has been quite a wait since Vol. 4, and I had begun to fear Chandos might have quietly put d'Indy to one side.

Straight on to my order list. Given Alan's slightly disinterested "For d'Indy fans..." I'm puzzled by how anyone could not be a d'Indy fan. No matter!

The contents of Vol. 5 are especially welcome. Recordings of the works other than the Op. 25 Symphonie are not exactly thick on the ground....and in my case Sangefleurie Op. 21 is quite unknown.

Maybe one day someone will give us a complete (commercially available) recording of Fervaal, rather than just the Prelude. That would be a real treat.

Alan Howe

Oh, I'm a fan - I was just in a hurry earlier. I've already preordered it.

eschiss1

I'm hoping my public library gets it as they have several of the earlier volumes (well, I'm not sure if it's the library or if they're being donated, at that. If it's the library, then given not just that but much else in the collection, someone(s) on staff has wide musical tastes...)

BerlinExpat

QuoteMaybe one day someone will give us a complete (commercially available) recording of Fervaal, rather than just the Prelude.

I was lucky enough to be present at a concert performance of Fervaal in Bern in 2009 and have a recording made from a Swiss Radio broadcast. I'm surprised it's never appeared on CD, but that seems to be the way it often goes, even with something as rare as that, when you'd think there would be a market for it.

If wished for. I can upload it, but prepare yourselves for a long haul for it's about 190 minutes long. IMHO it's much better than L'Etranger, although I wouldn't like to be without that.

Alan Howe

I heard some of that broadcast - I think. If you have the time to upload the opera, I for one would be very grateful...