Unsung Piano Music Ideas?

Started by JSK, Thursday 26 May 2011, 06:17

Previous topic - Next topic

JSK

I will have a lot of time on my hands in the near future and am looking for some unsung piano music to read through or include in my repertoire. Any suggestions? I am particularly open works by Russian nationalists (like the Ilyinsky Lullaby), but am also interested in most musical styles. I am pretty much confined to works available on IMSLP, but does anyone know where I could find a copy of the Nicolai sonata to look at?

Thank You!

JSK

Gareth Vaughan

The British Library has a copy of the 2nd Grand Sonata by Otto Nicolai. I do not know where the 1st is, unfortunately. Have you considered the piano music of Emanuel Moor? Or the 6 piano sonatas by Walter Gaze Cooper (copies of which I can obtain for you)? I can also let you have a copy of the piano sonata by the Hungarian, Jacob Gyula Major, whose Concerto Symphonique is available on IMSLP.

eschiss1

Moor's piano sonata has also been uploaded to IMSLP (thanks to user-nicknamed-Cypressdome and some others) .  (By the way, though this is not immediately helpful - depending...! -- most of IMSLP's collection of 8,000 work pages, including arrangements, for piano solo, can be found by going to the page piano category - and browsing around :) (slowlyish so that it doesn't think you're a bot...) The category walker will allow you to place various kinds of restrictions of time, type etc. on the works (Romantic, sonata, recording available onsite to listen to... for example) to narrow down the size of the set...

As to Nicolai's sonata, is the first sonata opus 27? Worldcat claims that the St. Pancras reading rooms at the British Library has that too. Oh never mind, I see that the first sonata is opus 21 in D minor (pub. 1841 by Häslinger of Vienna. (Source: November 1841 Hofmeisters Monatsberichte, p.166.). However, that's the year given to the copy in the British Library - 1841, by Haslinger. Maybe the 27 is a typo and it is the first sonata... hrm- curious?!?).
Eric
(ok, I'm looking further into this, esp. as works around op.23 by Otto- not Gustav who also shows up in  HMB - are more in the 1830s than 1840s range- so that the 1841 opus 21 might be a reissue/etc. and the op27 would be current ... and as Schumann, it seems, does mention op.27 in an 1842 NZM scanned in by... anyway... hrm. Back soon.)