British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 27 June 2012, 23:33
I've just downloaded it successfully.
???

Thank you for checking  :)
I suppose it must have been a gremlin in my computer, although I don't understand how others were downloading fine but that particular file repeatedly refused to open. I no longer believe that machines behave logically!  ::)

mjkFendrich

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 27 June 2012, 08:42
I have added the following works by Joseph Holbrooke -

Folksong Suite No.1 (String Quartet No.4), Op.71 (c.1916)

Dear Albion, I've read your upload announcement and waited for a post containing the corresponding links
in the British folder. Later on I realized that you have directly put them into the British index/archive
- this could be a little confusing as things become unsynchronized.
My own upload of D.Matthews' piano quintet
   http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,856.msg32275.html#msg32275
posted about two months ago is still not listed in the index yet.

albion

When I add items directly (i.e. without attribution to another member) they always go straight into the archive without a duplicating post on the downloads board, but I post an announcement on the discussion board.

When other members add British items independently, these go onto the downloads board and and copies are then transferred into the archive as and when. If in doubt, always check both locations. I'm sorry that I overlooked the David Matthews Piano Quintet which you very kindly posted - I will add this to the archive later today.

:)

paul corfield godfrey

Many thanks to secondfiddle for the downloads of the Bliss choral works. THE BEATITUDES is a really marvellous piece by the sound of it. The Prom performance which secondfiddle supplies gives a good idea but the orchestral playing and balance is execrable - organ and percussion dominate everything, and the strings sound wispy and totally uninvolbed - and Bliss sounds as if he is having difficulties keeping things together. But Heather Harper is marvellous!

I see it is to be performed again later this year and one hopes that a modern recording will materialise as a result.

albion

I have transferred and now uploaded the following from discs very kindly sent to me by secondfiddle -

Havergal Brian - Symphony No.16 (1960)

This is the first performance, recorded for the BBC on 1st April 1973 by Myer Fredman and the LPO (a month before their recording for Lyrita) but strangely not broadcast until 18th June 1975.

Arthur Bliss - The Beatitudes (1961)

This is taken from a performance given under Sir David Willcocks at the Royal Festival Hall in November 1991, which complements the important historical broadcast conducted by the composer which is already in the archive (supplied by the same member). For those interested in such things, the full programme of the 1991 concert was as follows

Malcolm Williamson - Overture, Santiago de Espada
Bliss - The Beatitudes
Bax - Tintagel
Elgar - Coronation Ode

Many thanks.

Dundonnell

Wonderful to get a second recording of the Bliss "Beatitudes" :)

Presumably, we shall soon get a third recording when the work is given its forthcoming Coventry performance :)

In this case, having waited so long for the bus to arrive, not two but three turn up ;D ;D ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Many thanks to secondfiddle for the Brian (and the Bliss, the few pieces of whom I know I really like)!

J.Z. Herrenberg

I want to thank MVS for his upload of the first performances of Brian's symphonies 26 and 29!

oleander55

I thought you'd like those!  They are pretty vigorous performances too! 

LukasPayne

Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 02 July 2012, 02:40
I am posting this in the British section(in whch the Gal Cello Concertino and Cantata "De Profundis" are located) although I am aware that the Music for String Orchestra is in the Austrian section ;D

It is an off-radio recording of the Hans Gal Cello Concerto, op.67, completed in 1949, a gorgeously romantic work by a composer who stayed loyal to the Classical traditions of his youth. The soloist is Moray Welsh with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra(conductor unknown).

I: Allegro moderato

http://www.mediafire.com/?5jgy34n166g6t4z

II: Andante

http://www.mediafire.com/?cwmg4snol62lc3k

III: Allegretto vivace e con soirito

http://www.mediafire.com/?734fga2413dyx7b

The conductor is Graeme Jenkins
http://www.moraywelsh.com/condctors.html

Dundonnell

Thanks for that information :)

isokani

Quote from: Albion on Sunday 12 February 2012, 08:30
From Latvian -

Edmund Rubbra (1901-1986) - Symphony No.4, Op.53 (1942); Resurgam, Op.149 (1975)

From A.S. -

William Baines (1899-1922) - Symphony in C minor, Op.10 (1917)

this was the first performance of Baines' work, given at the 1991 Grassington Festival.

Many thanks to both members.

Was very interested to hear this and the piece confirms my thoughts re. influence of Russian music on Baines (via Eaglefield Hull one presumes). Is this conductor George Kennaway also known as Igor? The orchestra is terrible! Sounds like a school band. Hope we get a real performance one day. Thanks v much for posting this... Reminds me also of Bainton of the same era (was involved in the Paracelsus recording -- I edited the score etc from his ms). Same key even ...

eschiss1

We have a Denis Simons (conductor, BBC Philharmonic) and a Dennis Simons (violinist)- was fairly sure these were the same person. I think they are - see this page; I think Denis is the misspelling and they should both be Dennis... (I actually was pretty sure it should be the other way around until I read that . Or maybe he changed his name at one point... though I'd go by "last set of orders trumps", then.)

eschiss1

George Kennaway- I don't think so. Possible.

brief biography of George Kennaway (cellist, conductor - principally of Yorkshire's Late Starter Strings but elsewhere also. Gave the UK premiere of Kurt Weill's cello sonata in 1985)

Igor Kennaway- ex-conductor of the Ludlow Orchestra.

jowcol

Variations on a Theme by Vaughan Williams by Francis Jackson

Possibly "Homage to Vaughan Williams?"
York Symphony Orchestra
Composer, Cond.
Radio broadcast, date unknown.

From the collection of Karl Miller

I would say without much doubt that,  if you like 20th Century British orchestral music, you will enjoy this.   I don't think Vaughan Williams would have been offended at all.  There is a brief radio interview with composer at the end of the track which may cast some doubt on the title.

Wiki Bio:

Dr Francis Alan Jackson CBE (born 2 October 1917) is pre-eminent as a British organist and composer.

A popular figure in the musical profession, both nationally and internationally, Jackson was born in Malton, Yorkshire and received his early education as a Chorister at York Minster under his precursor, the legendary Sir Edward Bairstow. Himself Organist of York Minster from 1946 until his official retirement in 1982, Jackson played for the wedding of Elizabeth II's cousin Prince Edward, Duke of Kent to Katherine Worsley on 8 June 1961.

As well as having given recitals and concerts all over the world, Jackson has made numerous recordings of solo organ music, and of choral music with York Minster Choir.

Composition and writing
His extensive output of sacred and secular music includes canticles, anthems, hymn tunes (including the widely sung East Acklam), organ sonatas and other organ pieces such as Diversion for Mixtures, two acclaimed monodramas - Daniel in Babylon and A Time of Fire, an overture, Brigantia, a concerto, a symphony, and solo songs. Jackson's creative output has continued since his retirement.

He is also the author of a biography of his teacher, mentor, and predecessor Sir Edward Bairstow entitled Blessed City: The Life and Works of Sir Edward C. Bairstow (ISBN 1 85072 192 0).

Key Events
•   1929-1933 Chorister of York Minster under Edward Bairstow
•   1933-1940 Organist of Malton Parish Church
•   1937 Gains FRCO with the Limpus Prize
•   1946-1982 Organist of York Minster
•   1957 Gains DMus Durham University
•   1970 Becomes Fellow of Westminster Choir College, Princeton, New Jersey
•   1972-1974 President of the Royal College of Organists
•   1978 Appointed OBE for services to music.
•   1982 On retiring from York Minster in 1982 he received the Fellowship of the Royal Northern College of Music, the Doctorate of the University of York and, at the hands of the Archbishop of York, Lord Blanch, the Order of Saint William of York.
•   2007 Promoted to CBE in the Queen's birthday honours for services to music.

There is also an interview with the composer if you wish to learn more about him here:
http://www.simonlindley.org.uk/frankly_speaking.html