British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

I now have a copy of Norman Del Mar's legendary 1979 performance of Granville Bantock's complete Omar Khayyam (1906-09). This is a recording which many people would like to hear and I'd like to express my (and indeed our) deep gratitude to dafrieze for providing the files.

These will take a little while to sort out and re-number (including checking through the whole work with a vocal score  :o), but should be available shortly!  ;D

Pengelli

What can I say. 'Wow'? Well,actually,everything in those folders!

Pengelli

Actualy,I feel you're like an angler reeling in a prize catch.

eschiss1

anyone got Parry's chamber music lying around? I have -somewhere- a tape of his 3rd string quartet in G from a BBC broadcast, and know his string quintet was broadcast once - don't know if his minor-mode first two quartets were broadcast too ...

Pengelli

Oh,don't get me started. I'd love the Ralph Holmes performance of Havergal Brian's Violin Concerto, (I accidentally taped over the end of my cassette copy. Oh,and Patric Standfords fantasic Symphony No 5,broacast on R3,circa 1985. My copy got 'chewed up'. By the tape recorder,not me,I hasten to add! It might not fit here,but it's very lyrical,Joan Rodgers singing is stunning & poor Patric got panned by the snotty critics. And then of course,there's the Ole Schmidt performance of the 'Gothic Symphony',also chewed up;my favourite & in my opinion,the best performance of the 'Gothic', so far.
Also  Schreker's 'Der Schatzgraber',in a superb performance conducted by Zagrosek,broadcast on R3 in 1985, Also 'chewed up'! Grrrrrr!
Stil,musn't be greedy!

Pengelli

albion

After a long day spent undertaking something akin to an archeological project, I've finally reassembled the mosaic of Norman Del Mar's 1979 BBC broadcast of Bantock's stupendous Omar Khayyam (armed with my copy of the 458 page vocal score).

I've renumbered the main files in sequence and given incipits of the quatrains at the beginning of each file (remember to click Show Extra Details in the left-hand menu). The recording is now available in Folder 9.

We owe a huge debt of gratitude to our American cousin dafrieze for his wonderful contributions to the cause!  ;D

Pengelli

Pengelli

You're our Hero,(and you too,Albion).

albion

Quote from: Albion on Saturday 22 January 2011, 17:24
After a long day spent undertaking something akin to an archaeological project, I've finally reassembled the mosaic of Norman Del Mar's 1979 BBC broadcast of Bantock's stupendous Omar Khayyam (armed with my copy of the 458 page vocal score).

I've renumbered the main files in sequence and given incipits of the quatrains at the beginning of each file (remember to click Show Extra Details in the left-hand menu). The recording is now available in Folder 9.

We owe a huge debt of gratitude to our American cousin dafrieze for his wonderful contributions to the cause!  ;D

I've expanded the performance details in Folder 9 and added the names of the artistes who personified the six Pots in Part 3.

dafrieze

Oh, shucks, okay - I'll accept hero (he says, blushing).  But just this once.  And thank you, Albion, for listing the names of the Pots - I got the original cassettes of Omar Khayyam from a friend of an acquaintance of a stranger, and I only ever knew the three main soloists.

Mark Thomas

This is turning out to be a quite literally fantastic treasure trove. Thanks so much.

Pengelli

Beats 'Treasure Island',even without Wallace Beery!

albion

There is now a typed copy of the complete text of Omar Khayyam in the folder. It is the version that Bantock used, translated by Edward Fitzgerald (5th edition, 1889).  :)

Dylan

A belated thanks for this outstanding contribution; among others I'm delighted to see are alternative performances of the two Dyson cantatas, neither of which I quite felt worked on their commercial issues - it'll be interesting to hear whether St Paul comes off in this recording? (The chorus on the Somm recording just didn't seem to cut it - is it to do with the fact that choirs increasingly seem to find it hard to recruit men these days?) As for Omar Khayam - I've been reading about this "legendary" performance for years, but had despaired of ever actually hearing it....And then the two Rootham works! The problem now is finding some time to actually listen to it all!! (And, I might add, working out how to make my own contributions: I'm pretty sure I can fill some gaps that even Albion et al haven't covered...)