British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

For those hardy souls who wish to explore another rendition of Havergal Brian's mighty Gothic Symphony, there are now files of the performance conducted by Ole Schmidt in Folder 4. This was originally broadcast live from the Royal Albert Hall on 25th June 1980 and was re-broadcast on 14th May 1995 (the present recording). The full line-up of artistes was as follows -

Jane Manning, sop; Shirley Minty, alto; John Mitchinson, ten; David Thomas, bass/ London Symphony Chorus, London Philharmonic Choir, BBC Singers, BBC Club Choir, Hampstead Choral Society, Bach Choir, English Chamber Choir; members of:  BBC Symphony Chorus, Royal Choral Society, Goldsmith's Choral Union, Highgate Choral Society/ Orpheus Girls' Choir/ Colfe's School Choir/ LSO/ Ole Schmidt

and there are some enlightening notices of the concert here -

http://www.havergalbrian.org/sym1_2.htm
http://www.havergalbrian.org/sym1_4.htm
http://www.havergalbrian.org/sym1_5.htm

:)

J.Z. Herrenberg

David Brown, writing in 1980: "If one knew nothing of the work, had not attended the concert, and read only the critics in the biggest-circulation papers afterwards, one might imagine that here was a white elephant delivered to a decent burial.  The audience reaction was of course the perfect answer to that notion"...

pml

Quote from: MikeInOz on Tuesday 21 June 2011, 23:47
Re the 4MBS recording of the Havergal Brian Gothic Symphony from Johan.

I hate to say this but unless my ears are playing me tricks, the left and right channels are reversed. I have only downloaded Part 1 from Folder 4, but this MP3 does appear to be reversed. At the concert, the 3 harps were hard left with the horns and the brass/tubas were hard right.

Anyone downloading may wish to convert to WAV and reverse the channels for best playback.

Hi Mike,

that's the way the Internet stream came off the 4MBS website – the reversal of channels was not something consciously effected by me.

In any case, it wasn't likely to be something I would be prone to notice – the harps were on my right and low brass/tubas on my left in the concert — i.e. from back row of the chorus!

Cheers, Philip

Mark Thomas

J.Z. Herrenberg

For your delectation, I here have a link to my Brisbane Gothic folder, with a better-quality recording. Got it from the tooth-fairy. I think it is John Curro who comes closest yet in reproducing the white heat of Brian's inspiration. Which is not to say everything is perfect. But this is a very compelling reading, especially when you hear the enhanced sound... Could you replace the recording with this new one, Albion?

http://www.mediafire.com/?km7z6cl54mpyv

albion

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on Sunday 24 July 2011, 13:22Could you replace the recording with this new one, Albion?

No problem - thanks very much Johan!

JimL

Quote from: pml on Sunday 24 July 2011, 04:36
Quote from: MikeInOz on Tuesday 21 June 2011, 23:47
Re the 4MBS recording of the Havergal Brian Gothic Symphony from Johan.

I hate to say this but unless my ears are playing me tricks, the left and right channels are reversed. I have only downloaded Part 1 from Folder 4, but this MP3 does appear to be reversed. At the concert, the 3 harps were hard left with the horns and the brass/tubas were hard right.

Anyone downloading may wish to convert to WAV and reverse the channels for best playback.
Hi Mike,

that's the way the Internet stream came off the 4MBS website – the reversal of channels was not something consciously effected by me.

In any case, it wasn't likely to be something I would be prone to notice – the harps were on my right and low brass/tubas on my left in the concert — i.e. from back row of the chorus!

Cheers, Philip
Maybe the pick-ups were at the back of the stage.

jfp.co

there is a tape of the Phaudrig Crohoore broadcast in the national sound archive
see http://cadensa.bl.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi/?ps=qev1jWvLjM/WORKS-FILE/256220052/9

albion

Quote from: jfp.co on Wednesday 24 August 2011, 19:16there is a tape of the Phaudrig Crohoore broadcast in the national sound archive

There are so many things held in the National Sound Archive that ought to be 'liberated'!

;)

semloh

My apologies if this has already been answered, but can anyone tell me where I might find the librettos for Alan Bush's The Winter Journey and Fogg's beautiful The Seasons?

eschiss1

As Swingler died in 1967, I don't know if the former would be available online; probably not... it might be in some published sources, though. Will see about...

albion

Quote from: semloh on Friday 26 August 2011, 11:02
My apologies if this has already been answered, but can anyone tell me where I might find the librettos for Alan Bush's The Winter Journey and Fogg's beautiful The Seasons?

I typed up the text of Eric Fogg's The Seasons (poems by William Blake) as a Word document - you can find it together with the recording in Folder 6. Sorry I can't help with The Winter Journey, but here is some information which may be useful to you from the Alan Bush Music Trust:

'The Winter Journey' - Cantata for Soprano and Baritone Soli, Mixed Chorus (SATB) with accompaniment for String Quintet and Harp or Piano, Op. 29 (1946)

1. The City
2. The Journey
3. The Sleepers in the City
4. Mary's Song - Chorale

'The Winter Journey', written in 1946, is an attempt to place the Christmas story in the atmosphere of the world after World War II. The text is by Randall Swingler.

The journey of Mary and Joseph to Bethlehem symbolises man's journey through the six years of war. The city at which their arrive is the post-war world. Mary and Joseph tell us of the ordeal of their journey to Bethlehem and ask the question of the threatening city:

"Are you afraid of the life that we have brought you
Is it your fear that shuts the door."

Here there is nothing picturesque, and such parts of the poem as are narrative are austerely set as though their only purpose was to explain the main theme, the crisis caused by the Incarnation.

The music for all its austerity always sufficient and often beautiful. The five numbers are bound together internally by polyphony and externally by subtle repetitions and modifications of harmony and phrase. The listener is aware that the work hangs together but the Composer is not at pains to show him how this is achieved.

After an adagio introduction, containing themes given out in passionate cantabile the first chorus describes the busy city with its welcome for all except those who 'bring nothing but a burden of trouble'. The accompaniment is mainly in the staccato quavers suggested by the opening words "the city rustles like a rookery at evening", the same phrase welcoming with 'come in' all who bring in money and business, is used with irony for the greeting of Mary and Joseph - 'No room'.

The second number is Joseph's description of their journey and the faith which made them go on. This is a long piece of declamation whose beautiful moments stand in widely spaced relief in arid surroundings.

The third number is a short and hushed and highly imaginative chorus describing the sleepers in the City uneasily stirring; this is a splendid piece of writing that cannot fail. There follows an expressive appeal by Mary, who asks what shall be the future of the child, which represents the eternal hope of peace and harmony among mankind. This leads to a final chorale, in which the semi-chorus and chorus together point out the moral in austerely beautiful harmony, and concludes:

"Winter it may be in the streets of time,
And all in vain, and all in vain,
We made that journey through the waste and wild,
Unless we find some place to lay the child
That will be born, that will be born,
The Christmas in the season of the heart".

semloh

Thanks eschiss 1 and Albion - and for setting me off on a developing relationship with Alan Bush and his music.

eschiss1

re William Wordsworth- forget if I asked this, but do you know if sym. 7 has received performances since Gibson premiered it?... (see for those who don't know the premiere I'm speaking of.)

eschiss1

Also re Wordsworth - symphony 1 movement headings according to Wright- 1. Allegro maestoso; 2. Adagio ma non troppo ; 3. Allegro con brio ; 4. (introduction) - Allegro.
(source: Wright Music PDF.

Symphony no.4 op.54 (1953)- one movement, Poco adagio-Allegro (basically).