British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Thanks, Eric. Duly amended!

:)

Good old NSA - I won't hear a word said against them.

:o

Christopher Parker's thesis gives the title as A l'espagne, but this could be an error ...

???

eschiss1

I will, their filing system seems to be a mess I readily agree, but sometimes a bit of tweaking...
As to the two pieces, A l'espagnole "sounds" more right (... I think.) but that is of course not the determining factor.

JimL

A l'espagnole translates to "in Spanish".  A l'espagne translates to "in Spain".  Your call.

semloh

Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 21 November 2011, 03:10
I am sending Albion the links to the following uploads: .............
Edmund Rubbra
Violin Concerto: with Erich Gruenberg as soloist and the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra/Steuart Bedford.

I've never heard this before - what a beautiful, glowing, transcendent work it is!  :) :)

Thank you, thank you .....  ;)

albion

Quote from: Albion on Monday 21 November 2011, 23:57Good old NSA - I won't hear a word said against them.

:o

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 22 November 2011, 04:35I will, their filing system seems to be a mess I readily agree, but sometimes a bit of tweaking...

I curse them as the sun rises and as the sun sets - as my past comments on the standard of 'cataloguing' (ahem) at NSA may indicate, the first quote above is very much tongue-in-cheek.

;D

Quote from: JimL on Tuesday 22 November 2011, 05:30A l'espagnole translates to "in Spanish".  A l'espagne translates to "in Spain".  Your call.

Parker seems to know his onions so, in lieu of a definitive answer from somebody in possession of a copy of the full score published by Gutmann in 1901, I'll let A l'espagne stand for the moment.

albion

Latest additions -

Alan Bush (1900-1995) - Violin Concerto, Op.32 (1946-48); Symphony No.2, Nottingham, Op.33 (1949)
Bernard Stevens (1916-1983) - Symphony No.2, Op.35 (1964)
Peter Racine Fricker (1920-1990) - Symphony No.3, Op.36 (1960)
Gerard Schurmann (b.1924) - Violin Concerto (1975-78)

These include an alternative interpretation of Fricker's third symphony, and broadcasts of the premiere performances of works by Stevens and Schurmann.

Many thanks, Dundonnell.

mikben

Thanks!!! :D

[For the Searle. I have moved this reply, wrongly posted in the Downloads board, to this board where it belongs - Mark]

albion

I have put a copy of the following upload by dafrieze into the archive -

Humphrey Searle (1915-1982) - The Diary of a Madman, Op.35 (1958)

Many thanks, Dave.

This short opera, based on Gogol, was commissioned by Hermann Scherchen for the Berlin Festival and first performed there in October 1958 - it won the first prize at UNESCO's International Rostrum of Composers in 1960.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Albion on Tuesday 22 November 2011, 07:17
Latest additions -

Alan Bush (1900-1995) - Violin Concerto, Op.32 (1946-48); Symphony No.2, Nottingham, Op.33 (1949)
Bernard Stevens (1916-1983) - Symphony No.2, Op.35 (1964)
Peter Racine Fricker (1920-1990) - Symphony No.3, Op.36 (1960)
Gerard Schurmann (b.1924) - Violin Concerto (1975-78)

These include an alternative interpretation of Fricker's third symphony, and broadcasts of the premiere performances of works by Stevens and Schurmann.

Many thanks, Dundonnell.

I apologise for the odd crackle and distortion  in the Bush symphony but it is probably worth preserving. The only other performance I know is the Classico cd with a student orchestra-which does manfully, it has to be said ;D

Latvian

Dundonnell,

Are you familiar with the Melodiya LP of Bush's 2nd Sym, with the composer conducting the Moscow Radio Symphony Orch (I think)? If not, I can provide. It's a live performance and has never been reissued in any media, to the best of my knowledge.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Latvian on Tuesday 22 November 2011, 18:40
Dundonnell,

Are you familiar with the Melodiya LP of Bush's 2nd Sym, with the composer conducting the Moscow Radio Symphony Orch (I think)? If not, I can provide. It's a live performance and has never been reissued in any media, to the best of my knowledge.

No, I don't know that recording although I have read that the sound quality is very poor ???

(I know that this probably sounds rich coming from someone who has uploaded so many dodgy tape recordings ;D))

mikehopf

Can I offer you any of the following:

Mackenzie: La Belle Dame Sans Merci
                  Fantasia for Piano Op.70
Haydn WOOD: Fantasy Concerto
                        Variations on a Humorous Theme
HOLST: King Estmere for Chorus & Orch.
            Fantasy on Hampshire Folk Tunes ( 1916)
            Invocation for Cello & Orch.
GARDINER: April for Chorus & Orch.
                  String Qt in Bb
C. WOOD: String Quartet (1912); Dear Irish Boy
FINZI: Requiem in Camera in Memory of EBF
FARRAR: Centenary Concert: Songs, Celtic Suite, Piano Music et al.
HOLBROOKE: Concerto for Clarinet , Bassoon & Orch ( Tamerlane)
FERGUSON: Amore Langueo - Cantata
BANTOCK: Atlanta in Calydon - Cantata
COWEN: Orchestral works, Songs from double RRE LPs - historical recording
FOULDS: St Joan Suite
E.ISAACS: Violin Sonata (1910)

Apologies for duplicating some of Albion's downloads or currently available recordings.

I'll get down to GAL: De Profundis over the weekend.

mikehopf

Oh, yes, and a couple more:

HOLST: Vision of Dame Christian
SHAPLEIGH: Cello Sonata
McEWEN: Grey Galloway; Suite for Strings
J.GUEST: Sonata Op.1
ELGAR: Movement for Piano & Orchestra
McFARREN: Shakespeare Part Songs
HOWELLS: Fantasy for Cello & Orch.

Latvian

QuoteFOULDS: St Joan Suite

Mike, I will welcome most anything you mention, but the Foulds would really make my day!

semloh

Quote from: mikehopf on Wednesday 23 November 2011, 02:22
Can I offer you any of the following:

Your two lists include my favourite British composers, and works I've wanted for years to hear. They will all be awaited with great anticipation, Mike.

Thank you  :)