British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

TerraEpon

H. Wood, Finzi, Foulds, and Bantock are always good...

albion

Quote from: mikehopf on Wednesday 23 November 2011, 02:22
Can I offer you any of the following:

Mackenzie: La Belle Dame Sans Merci
                  Fantasia for Piano Op.70
Haydn WOOD: Fantasy Concerto
                        Variations on a Humorous Theme

HOLST: King Estmere for Chorus & Orch.
            Fantasy on Hampshire Folk Tunes ( 1916)

Invocation for Cello & Orch.
GARDINER: April for Chorus & Orch.
                  String Qt in Bb
C. WOOD: String Quartet (1912); Dear Irish Boy
FINZI: Requiem in Camera in Memory of EBF
FARRAR: Centenary Concert: Songs, Celtic Suite, Piano Music et al.
HOLBROOKE: Concerto for Clarinet , Bassoon & Orch ( Tamerlane)
FERGUSON: Amore Langueo - Cantata
BANTOCK: Atlanta in Calydon - Cantata
COWEN: Orchestral works, Songs from double RRE LPs - historical recording
FOULDS: St Joan Suite
E.ISAACS: Violin Sonata (1910)

Quote from: mikehopf on Wednesday 23 November 2011, 02:30
Oh, yes, and a couple more:

HOLST: Vision of Dame Christian
SHAPLEIGH: Cello Sonata
McEWEN: Grey Galloway; Suite for Strings
J.GUEST: Sonata Op.1
ELGAR: Movement for Piano & Orchestra
McFARREN: Shakespeare Part Songs
HOWELLS: Fantasy for Cello & Orch.

Mike, thanks for these lists. I've marked what I would personally be especially interested in adding to the archive.

:)

albion

Latest additions from Dundonnell -

Malcolm Arnold (1921-2006) - Symphony No.4, Op.71 (1960); Double Violin Concerto, Op.77 (1962); Symphony No.6, Op.95 (1967); Symphony No.7, Op.113 (1973)
Richard Rodney Bennett (b.1936) - Violin Concerto (1976)

Arnold's Double Concerto and Symphony No.7 are conducted by the composer, Symphonies 4 and 6 by Bryden Thomson.

The Double Concerto and Symphony No.7 have a degree of intermittent electromagnetic interference and (in the latter) an occasional guest appearance from the boys in blue!

Despite these issues, these are particularly valuable recordings.

Many thanks, Colin.

gasman

Quote from: Latvian on Wednesday 23 November 2011, 03:13
QuoteFOULDS: St Joan Suite

Mike, I will welcome most anything you mention, but the Foulds would really make my day!

I'll 2nd that re. Foulds - and would also like the Howells, Finzi and Elgar........oh and, the Holst and Bantock too! ::)

gasman

Wow - more Arnold - esp. the Double Violin Concerto - really looking forward to that!

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 23 November 2011, 07:51

Malcolm Arnold (1921-2006) - Symphony No.4, Op.71 (1960); Double Violin Concerto, Op.77 (1962); Symphony No.6, Op.95 (1967); Symphony No.7, Op.113 (1973)

Arnold's Double Concerto and Symphony No.7 are conducted by the composer, Symphonies 4 and 6 by Bryden Thomson.

The Double Concerto and Symphony No.7 have a degree of intermittent electromagnetic interference and (in the latter) an occasional guest appearance from the boys in blue!

Many thanks, Colin.

albion

Quote from: gasman on Wednesday 23 November 2011, 08:09
Quote from: Latvian on Wednesday 23 November 2011, 03:13
QuoteFOULDS: St Joan Suite

Mike, I will welcome most anything you mention, but the Foulds would really make my day!

I'll 2nd that re. Foulds

Mike, is the Foulds Saint Joan Suite the Luxembourg RSO/ Hager? If so, it's already available to commercially download -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Foulds-Saint-Joan-Suite/dp/B001V7CVJ4/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1322036419&sr=8-8

Perhaps it's a different performance ...

???

Latvian

Quoteis the Foulds Saint Joan Suite the Luxembourg RSO/ Hager?

I'm hoping it's not! I have the Hager CDs, and I'd like to hear an alternative performance. I like the work very much!

jerfilm

Gosh, Mike, I don't see anything in that list that I wouldn't like to hear.......

Thanks so much.

Jerry

Dundonnell

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 23 November 2011, 07:51

Many thanks, Colin.

If you admire Malcolm Arnold's music please do not not be put off by the unfortunate fact that the first minute of the announcer's introduction to the Seventh Symphony is virtually impossible to make out through the distorting crackle.

This is an important performance of a searingly intense work. On Chandos Rumon Gamba takes 31.52 minutes for the work, Vernon Handley clocks in at a more expansive 37.43 minutes and Andrew Penney on Naxos 38.24 minutes. In this performance conducted by the composer he expands the work to 51 minutes.
Defintely therefore worth hearing :)

Dundonnell

Thanks very much for the upload of the big Mathias piece "World's Fire", Holger :)

I hope that-in time-you can give us "Litanies" and the Dance Variations as well :)

I can add a performance-I think the first performance- of "This Worlde's Joie" conducted by the composer.

britishcomposer

I could add the Mathias Clarinet Concerto of 1975 in performance with Michael Collins and the Polish Chamber Orchestra, Jerzy Maksymiuk conducting. Interested? ;)

Holger

Yes, Colin, there will be some more Mathias uploads in the upcoming weeks. I still intend to share the following pieces:

• "Litanies"
  • Dance Variations
  • "Melos"
  • "Salvator Mundi"
  • "Learsongs"
Your recording of "This Worlde's Joie" will be welcome, of course!
And I am certainly also interested in the Clarinet Concerto, britishcomposer!

gasman

Yes please!

Quote from: britishcomposer on Wednesday 23 November 2011, 14:29
I could add the Mathias Clarinet Concerto of 1975 in performance with Michael Collins and the Polish Chamber Orchestra, Jerzy Maksymiuk conducting. Interested? ;)

gasman

Arnold Bax

Having been in dialogue with Albion regarding my Bax  Radio 3 'Composer of the Week' recordings from the period 5.2.01-9.2.01, I have been able to establish that most of them were recorded especially for the program (There wasn't much Bax available at such times!). Some of them are of unacceptable quality (so missing here), some a little dubious quality but offered so the listener can make their own mind up, others are fine. All other recordings played were either from CD by various artists or on a soon to be released (at the time) World Premier Chandos recording by BBC Philharmonic & Martyn Brabbins, so these are of course left out!

I am so glad to finally be able to offer up something as I've benefited greatly from the kind up loaders on this site  :)

Subject to moderator approval (!) - I hope there is something below of interest to you fellow Bax lovers out there!

Arnold Bax: -

Summer Music
Conducted by Saatchi Fujioka & Ulster Orch
Radio 3 'Composer of the week' Broadcast 6.2.01

Romantic Overture
Conducted by Takuo Yuasa & Ulster Orch
Radio 3 'Composer of the week' Broadcast 7.2.01

Three Pieces for Small Orch  - (Formerly 'Four Sketches' & '4 Irish Pieces') - Conducted by Saatchi Fujioka & Ulster Orch
Radio 3 'Composer of the week' Broadcast 7.2.01
1) 'Evening Piece' - Reasonable quality
2) 'Irish Landscape' - low 'phuts'
3) 'Dance in the Sunlight' - annoying 'phuts'

Morning Song (Maytime in Sussex)
Conducted by Takuo Yuasa & Ulster Orch
Radio 3 'Composer of the week' Broadcast 9.2.01

It's been an enjoyable morning preparing them for upload - I do hope you enjoy them!

Dundonnell

I too shall be adding some Bax very soon-

Symphony No.7(Groves)
Violin Concerto(Hugh Bean)
Cello Concerto(Douglas Cummings)
"Winter Legends"(John McCabe)