British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

What a day this has been for Brianites.  I have already listened to symphs 6, 8 and 9 several times. And now 32... You're a star!

albion

Many thanks to new member davetubaking for

Derek Bourgeois - Symphony No.4, A Wine Symphony, Op.58 (1978)

relating to a beverage which I never partake of myself ( ;) ;D).

I have provided an alternative single mp3 file in the archive and supplied the relevant performance and broadcast dates in the catalogue.

:)

albion

Another Derek Bourgeois broadcast from davetubaking -

Concerto No.2 for Brass Band, Op.49 (1976)

Once again, I have provided an alternative single mp3 file in the archive.

Many thanks.

semloh

Albion - am I going doo-lally or is that 9th mp3 file only 8MB?  :o ;D

albion

Of the original files, 1-8 are 320 kbps but 9 is 128 kbps.

In the nine sections Bourgeois steadfastly works his way through ...

Champagne (heralded by a cork-pop), Bordeaux, Hock, Beaujolais, Burgundy, Loire, Alsace, Moselle and Rhône

lingering longest over the second, fifth and ninth bottles. In order to make your way through the musical vineyard, you should download the tasting notes also supplied.

;D

semloh

OK - I now realise my mistake - I ignored the fact that you had put it in the archive and mistook the file numbered 004, in the original set, for your single mp3 file! I wouldn't mind, but I haven't touched a drop! Cheers, Albion!  ;D

albion

MVS has provided another copy of the 1966 Proms broadcast of Havergal Brian's 12th Symphony. At the end of the performance we are able to hear the enthusiastic reception the composer was given when he appeared on stage. Very special.

Thanks, Mark

J.Z. Herrenberg

Many thanks to MVS for his upload of Brian's Twelfth Symphony! I used to have the same recording, so I know about the spine-tingling surprise at the end...

J.Z. Herrenberg

oleander55

Yes, considering the decades that Brian spent in the wilderness, the cheers and applause are heartening!

albion

Many thanks to britishcomposer for

Judith Bingham - Shakespeare Requiem (2008)

copies of which are on the download board and in the archive.

albion

I have added the following works by Joseph Holbrooke -

Folksong Suite No.1 (String Quartet No.4), Op.71 (c.1916)

1. Come lasses and lads
2. The last rose of summer
3. Mavourneen Deelish
4. Strathspeys and reels

Folksong Suite No.2 (String Quartet No.5), Op.72a (c.1917) - also styled String Quartet No.2, Song and Dance

1. Strathspeys
2. Song of the bottle
3. All through the night
4. Irish jigs

Jimfin

Oh thank you! I've got a couple of these movements separately on the Dutton CDs, but it's a treat to hear them as intended, and to see some semblance of order with Holbrooke.

semloh

Hoddinott's Viola Concertino seems to be unavailable from the Archive. If it's not a mistake on my part, could it be re-entered, please, someone... I would be most grateful.  ;)

albion

I've just downloaded it successfully.

???