News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Female Symphonists

Started by John H White, Friday 17 July 2009, 22:28

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Chopin and Field were barely contemporaries, Mark.  Field was composing concertos and nocturnes while Chopin was what, 5(?), 6(?) years old.  Field's Concerto #1 dates from about 1799, does it not?

Mark Thomas

My grammar reflects the fact that I was tired, Jim, and ready for bed. I wasn't saying that Chopin and Field were contemporaries, but that Farrenc and Mayer were.

monafam

I fear that I may have been somewhat sexist in this department in the past.  I don't believe that this is a male domain, but when I've selected music, I normally choose men*.  I think I have a lot to learn, and maybe I'm missing out on that perfect musical piece for my tastes.

*Case in point -- I purchased some relatively cheap CDs and saw a G. Coates, not reading it was Gloria.  Ok, this particular CD is very "modern" and not immediately pleasant to my ears; however, in all likelihood I may not have chosen it if it said "Gloria."   I hope that doesn't sound just terrible, but it's certainly an opportunity for me to broaden my horizons.   

I hope that makes sense.  :)

Gareth Vaughan

Nothing wrong with your grammar, Mark. The sentence is grammatically correct and its meaning clear. "Chopin/Field" is placed in brackets, thus indicating it is an adjunct to the structure of the sentence and does not form part of its basic grammatical architecture. (There speaks a teacher of English!)

Mark Thomas