Na Solani Cartak / Cartak on Solan by Laos Janacek

Started by giles.enders, Wednesday 15 June 2011, 10:32

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Many years ago I switched on the radio and heard a magnificent piece of choral music.  I had to wait to the end to hear what it was and it was Cartak on Solan, a cantata written by Laos Janacek in 1911.  I have not been able to trace any recording of this and apart from a reference in Grove it seems to be deeply buried in history. 

Gareth Vaughan

This cantata for male-voice chorus and orchestra was written by Janáček around 1911, though perhaps not completed until 1920. It was published jointly by Barenreiter in Kassel and Supraphon in Prague in 1981 as part of the Complete Critical Edition of the Works of Leoš Janáček. BL has both Full and Vocal scores. There are also many other library locations for the vocal score listed on COPAC so it should be easy to get hold of a copy via Inter-Library loan.
Amazon list two copies of a vinyl LP recording (Supraphon) of cantatas by Janacek which includes Na Solani Cartak here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dclassical&field-keywords=Janacek+cantata&x=9&y=13

Alan Howe

giles.enders

Thank you for that, I shall persue the disk.