Alexander Taneyev 1850-1918

Started by giles.enders, Thursday 17 May 2012, 10:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...which is why Amazon is always worth searching for out-of-print recordings.

Christopher

Quote from: giles.enders on Thursday 17 May 2012, 10:37
Alexander Sergeyevich Taneyev 1850-1918  born St Petersburg, Russia, died St.Petersburg, Russia

Studied firstly under Reichel in Dresden and later in St Petersburg with Rimsky-Korsakov and A.A.Petrov
He was a high ranking civil servant and second cousin to the better known Sergei Taneyev.

Giles - do you know anything more about the A.A. Petrov you mention? He could be the mysterious "A.Petrov" mentioned in this string - http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,4228.msg45305.html#msg45305 - who orchestrated Schumann's "Carnaval - Scènes mignonnes sur quatre notes" together with other Russian unsungs like Kalafati and Klenovsky, but about whom nothing is known....

eschiss1

According to Laurel Fay, A. A. Petrov is Aleksei Alekseevich Petrov, 1859-1919. (So a contemporary, not an elder, of Taneyev's, which isn't necessarily a strike against his having taught him, though...) (At least, if this is the same Petrov as is mentioned in her Shostakovich and his World, note 9, page 40; of course, perhaps not, again. Not Andrei Petrov the film composer born 1930 died a few years ago, that's sure.)

semloh

Christopher

Quote from: eschiss1 on Wednesday 03 July 2013, 17:21
According to Laurel Fay, A. A. Petrov is Aleksei Alekseevich Petrov, 1859-1919. (So a contemporary, not an elder, of Taneyev's, which isn't necessarily a strike against his having taught him, though...) (At least, if this is the same Petrov as is mentioned in her Shostakovich and his World, note 9, page 40; of course, perhaps not, again. Not Andrei Petrov the film composer born 1930 died a few years ago, that's sure.)

Very interesting thanks Eric!

I did a quick search on the Russian-language internet, and found this on a page discussing the Russian writer Sergei Nikolaevich Syromyatnikov (1864-1933), under a section describing his new play "Res" (with apologies for using google translate):

The overture, choruses and musical interludes were written specifically for the performance by the composer, later professor of the St. Petersburg Conservatory Alexei Petrov (1859 - 1919), the originator of the "Elementary Guide To Instrumentation" (St. Petersburg: Publishing House. Zimmerman, 1900), "Short Course Encyclopedia [musical knowledge] "(St. Petersburg: type. Kinda SL, 1910), musical and pedagogical writings "Instrumentation: Description of the Volume of Tools Used in the Modern Symphony Orchestras and Military "(St. Petersburg: type. SL Kinda, 1910), author of the arrangements of folk songs (see, eg, 20 Folk Songs of Siberia. for one voice with piano accompaniment from collected in 1890 in the Irkutsk region and the Trans-Baikal region NP Protasov. Transcribed by Alexei Petrov. St. Petersburg. : Publication Singing Commission of the Imperial Russian Geographical Society, 1902). See about him: Vitols Jazeps Years of teaching: (From "Memories of My Life") / / Leningrad Conservatory in his memoirs: In 2 books. / [Ed. Ed. GG Tigranova]. 2nd ed., Ext. LA: Music, 1987. Prince. 1. S. 26. It was he who was in charge of teaching music in the 8th St. Petersburg High School (see: IA "Res" in the high school scene / / Hermes. 1909. T. IV. № 10 (36). May 15. S. 368 ; LM p. 252).
In the Annensky archive is a letter from Petrov dedicated to the musical component production of the play "Res" and sheds light on the chronological framework of the preparatory work on the show (RGALI. F. 6. Op. 1. № 355. L. 1):

August 7, 1895 Locarno

Dear Innokent Feodorovich.
The music for the tragedy of "Res",, with a few small items and excluding monologue muses finish. I do not know how well it came out, but I wrote with great enthusiasm. The Muse's Monologue will also be finished very soon, but upon arrival in Russia, where I set my feet tomorrow. I will be in  St. Petersburg on 23 or 24 August. In any case, all I have prepared so that upon arriving immediately possible to prepare for production of the play. The play shifted in my four hands, and when it will bring, you can play it with Karl Vasilyevich *, to whom please deign to send my regards.

Esteemed you
Petrov

* KV Focht, a mathematics teacher and school inspector.

http://annensky.lib.ru/names/syromyat/syromyatnikov.htm