Russian & Soviet Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 17 June 2011, 03:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Holger

jowcol,

it might seem I am currently trying to comment all your uploads ;D but Soviet music is probably the key field of my collection, so there is often at least some additional information which I can provide.

As for Abeliovich's symphonies, the one you uploaded is really the Third (I also got my copy from Karl). Here is the evidence: according to the German music encyclopedia MGG, No. 1 is in D Major, No. 2 in E Minor (and I have it anyway), No. 3 in B flat Minor and No. 4 in E Minor. As the Abeliovich symphony from Karl is in B flat Minor (I can hear that) it must be No. 3 indeed.

The information about Melodiya LPs with all Abeliovich symphonies as stated on Onno's site is clearly wrong as far as I am informed. Mike Herman's discography only lists a recording of the Second, and it really seems this is the only one which appeared on LP (I have it). Onno's site is sometimes incorrect regarding information about LP releases, as soon as there is no catalogue number I'd be very careful. It's the same with several symphonies by Skulte or Machavariani's Fourth: all of them have never appeared on LP though Onno's site quite states the contrary.

I'm pretty sure this must be a broadcast recording. In any case, it has never been available on CD and most probably not on LP either.

jowcol

Quote from: Holger on Wednesday 30 May 2012, 20:45
jowcol,

it might seem I am currently trying to comment all your uploads ;D but Soviet music is probably the key field of my collection, so there is often at least some additional information which I can provide.

As for Abeliovich's symphonies, the one you uploaded is really the Third (I also got my copy from Karl). Here is the evidence: according to the German music encyclopedia MGG, No. 1 is in D Major, No. 2 in E Minor (and I have it anyway), No. 3 in B flat Minor and No. 4 in E Minor. As the Abeliovich symphony from Karl is in B flat Minor (I can hear that) it must be No. 3 indeed.

The information about Melodiya LPs with all Abeliovich symphonies as stated on Onno's site is clearly wrong as far as I am informed. Mike Herman's discography only lists a recording of the Second, and it really seems this is the only one which appeared on LP (I have it). Onno's site is sometimes incorrect regarding information about LP releases, as soon as there is no catalogue number I'd be very careful. It's the same with several symphonies by Skulte or Machavariani's Fourth: all of them have never appeared on LP though Onno's site quite states the contrary.

I'm pretty sure this must be a broadcast recording. In any case, it has never been available on CD and most probably not on LP either.

Thanks for all of the information.  I'm afraid I don't have any more to post today.   :P   You'll see more in a day or two.

eschiss1

eschiss1

gpdlt2010

Thanks to reiger for the Arensky. I had the Lp and i am surprised that such beautiful music has not been re-recorded in its totality. A must for Arensky fans!

ttle

Abeliovich's Third is truly beautiful. What a shame that this composer was left in the dark. Incidentally, having an age-old passion for languages, I keep tracking transliteration systems and the most common Belarusian Latin (Łacinka) spelling for Lev Abeliovich would seem to be Leŭ Abielijovič.

eschiss1

Vasilenko- someone's probably mentioned, but the movements of his 3rd symphony op.81 are

1. Allegro con brio -- 2. Nokti︠u︡rn = [Nocturne] -- 3. Serenada = [Serenade] -- 4. Tarantella.

Also, from information on the 1950s Khrennikov/Vasilenko LP that the piano concerto op.128 seems to have come from (or at least, its Westminster version etc. ... ) - it seems (some library guessing?) that the pianist may have been Iakov Izrailevich Zak (there is at least another "J. Zak", Jonathan Zak known for his duo recordings with Simca Heled, but he's more recent.)

eschiss1

Helmer-Rainer Sinisalo sounds like a German version of a name- though it is VIAF-approved (which matters) (viaf.org). Harvard's library prefers Gelʹmer Nesterovich Sinisalo, for what it's worth? :) (Will keep trying to find out more about the symphony- unless someone already has the tempo indications or I already have and should have noticed I did... though more information still is good too, as with other composers and works; I treat iTunes as a database, the more basic info, the better. :) :) )

eschiss1

btw three different birth dates seem to be given in various places for Sergei Nikolaievich Barsukov (1912, 1918 and 1923). Musicsack seems to prefer 1923... as does VIAF. I don't know why, though.

Holger

As for Barsukov, I know the problem and I have done some research in vain myself. "1musikpensionaer" on YouTube once uploaded several pieces by Barsukov (which are deleted now), and he gave 1908 as year of birth. As he also provided a short CV (unlike other sources) I regard this as the most likely version at the moment (even more so as the CV also included some earlier years as I recall - alas I didn't save it).

thalbergmad

There does appear to be at least 3 x  Sergei Barsukovs. One the composer, another an author and the last a footballer. The correct year of birth for the composer does appear to be 1923,

I asked my friend Malcolm Balan who is expert in this field and he came up with the following:

"He appears to have left Russia at a fairly early age to go to USA where he performed across that continent as well be piano tutor to Rachmaninov's children [so suspect he had to be pretty good]....yet no mention in any of the standard works on pianists.
Could not find a date of death.............but there is a Sergei Barsukov scholarship fund linked to the San Francisco Conservatoire"

A good chance this chap is still alive.

Thal

JimL

Got the finale of Kalachevsky's Ukrainian Symphony off YouTube.  It's Allegro.  It may not be completely accurate, as the other movements were wrong, but I'm rolling with it.

markniew

As to Sergei Barsukov he was born in 1908.
Such date is given on an old Meldiya LP (no. S10-09743-4) with his 2nd Piano cto . It was played by Vladimir Krainiev and All Soviet Radio SO under Maxim Shostakovich

thalbergmad

It seems Sergei Barsukov is the Russian equivalent of John Smith.

Thal