Russian & Soviet Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 17 June 2011, 03:21

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

and a Worldcat.org search for Barvinskij and similar mostly turns up choral works and a CD of works for string quartet by Ukrainian composers (intriguing, I think I've heard that one is NLA but will try to get to hear it somewhere. Lyatoshinski quartets 2 and 3 are in my honest opinion better than his already quite good symphonies, off topic... (I think I've heard both of those quartets though I only have one digitized.)

markniew

Here you have the content
CD 1
Ludkevich  (1879-1979)- Pf cto - no indication on its number [I do not believe there were 3 of them. my source (book Soviet composers and musicologists of 1981, vol. 2 K-R) mentiones only two - no 1 of 1920/revision of 1950 and no. 2 of 1957]
cto was recorded in 1965

Mykola Kolessa (1903-2006)
Passacaglia, Scherzo and Fugue
Four Preludes
Three kolomyikas (sort of folk dances)
Two Miniatures

CS 2
Barvinsky (1888-1963)
5 Preludes
Dumka
Humoresque
Pf cto (recorded 1n 1999)

Nestor Nizhankovsky (1894-1940)
Prelude and Fugue
Rememberance
Intermezzo
Valse
Kolomyika

all pieces are played by Maria Krushelnitska

I havehad CDR copy of the set. booklet is in Ukrainian so not everything is clear for me

Christopher

Quote from: markniew on Tuesday 30 August 2011, 19:22
Here you have the content
CD 1
Ludkevich  (1879-1979)- Pf cto - no indication on its number [I do not believe there were 3 of them. my source (book Soviet composers and musicologists of 1981, vol. 2 K-R) mentiones only two - no 1 of 1920/revision of 1950 and no. 2 of 1957]
cto was recorded in 1965 .....

Hello again - I still can't find this on the internet.  I am probably going to Kiev in September.  Would it be possible for you to scan and send the front cover and contents page so that I can show it in the music shops there to see if they have it?  I would be very grateful!!

britishcomposer

I am no authority on Ludkevich but German wikipedia states he wrote three Piano Concertos.
Perhaps your problems depend on spelling, Christopher? English wikipedia spells him Stanyslav Lyudkevych.

Christopher

I think my problems almost certainly depend on spelling.  The transliteration rules for Russian and Ukrainian are quite different, for example when an i is an i or a y, when to use a single or double consonant (Kosenko or Kossenko...), etc etc.  And then then they change again if you are transliterating into German or French or...!!  I won't bore you further, but needless to say it can make internet searches very complex!   If I saw the front cover of this CD, which is presumably in Ukrainian or Russian, I could type it straight into google.ru and order it from one of the many online CD shops here in Moscow!

jerfilm

For sure, two of Taranov's symphonic poems were recorded - Melodiya, if I recall:

Gouramyshvili, opus 32 (sym poem)
Three Monuments in C, opus 46 (sym poem)

The latter might not necessarily be classified as a symphonic poem.  That's where I put it in my database.

Jerry

eschiss1

A.S. - Fyrexia uploaded a recording, poss. not the same one? - timings might be compared- of the Barvinskyi/Barvinsky piano concerto - to his account (Youtube) - where he credits the soloists and performers as being Maria Krushelnitska and Orchestra of the Student Opera of the State (Mykola), if I understand right (perhaps "Mykola Lysenko Lviv State Academy of Music Orchestra"?)

Christopher- I rather like (some of the time) Google's spelling-flexible features.  Spelling is generally speaking -not even interlanguage; sometimes intralanguage - the bane of searching. (Consider in regards the latter, that the same title or proper name - especially, say, in the 19th century and earlier, but would that the 20th century were a breath of fresh air here - no... - was often spelled quite a few different ways on different musical scores by even the same publisher, sometimes, and certainly by different ones.  The USA Library of Congress, though it has a standardization-suggestions site, doesn't try to "shoehorn" its catalog the way many do, and catalogs by the actual author and title that appear (that the scanners and cataloguers* then sometimes misread the scores goes on not to help either, and hardly only at the Library of Congress- this is human error, or to be pretentious ;) , entropy at work...) - so... erm... well...

yes. flexible searching, whether between languages or within one's own, is your friend...

*for both of whose work and for whom I - not disingenuously but sincerely; it's tough work and done, from what communication I've had with these people and what little I know of them, out of love I daresay - have great admiration and respect. Librarians are in a profession I think very, very well of (and I am honored to be allowed to volunteer at...well, anyway..) But error comes with a job, being human and all'that!

markniew

Hello again - I still can't find this on the internet.  I am probably going to Kiev in September.  Would it be possible for you to scan and send the front cover and contents page so that I can show it in the music shops there to see if they have it?  I would be very grateful!!
[/quote]

Christopher,

yes, I will scan the front and back cover (my copies are unfortunately black-and-white). It is in Ukrainian. the set was issued in 2006. It might be not so easy to find it in regular CD shops. My friend bought it just by case in one of the provincinal cities in Ukraine.
It is also difficult to name the label. on the back cover you can see: contact info: e-mail: m_perun@yahoo.com.
2006 "Seriya Dukhovna muzyka Ukrainy" = Artistic??? music of Ukraine series
of "ANDREI" foundation

and one interesting info on Ukrainian-Polish relations in life of Stanislav Ludkevich (Lyudkievich). He was born in the ciy of Jaroslav (Yaroslav) in 1879. Now Jaroslav is in Poland, in 19th century it was in a part of Poland under the Russian Empire. During 1919-39  Ludkevich was a lecturer of theory in the N. Lysenko High Musical Institute in Lvov - the city that till 1939 also was in Poland

markniew

Quote from: britishcomposer on Wednesday 31 August 2011, 09:38
I am no authority on Ludkevich but German wikipedia states he wrote three Piano Concertos.
Perhaps your problems depend on spelling, Christopher? English wikipedia spells him Stanyslav Lyudkevych.

I have found a site on Lyudkevich (in Ukrainian) and it mentions even only one pf cto of 1920/50
http://www.composersukraine.org/index.php?id=2412

as dos the Ukrainian wikipedia
http://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9B%D1%8E%D0%B4%D0%BA%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%B8%D1%87_%D0%A1%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BD%D1%96%D1%81%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B2_%D0%9F%D0%B8%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B8%D1%87

Holger

Hi Mark,

the following site mentions three piano concertos composed in 1920, 1931 and 1957 (even with keys):
http://www.russiancomposers.org.uk/page787.html
However, in case of Lyudkevych there is clearly a certain lack of accurate sources.

Regards,
Holger

fyrexia

Talking about ukrainian music and lacks of sufficient information. I have an unsolved question.
Ukrainian composer Levko Revutsky, composed a Piano Concerto Op.18.
It was then recorded on MELODIYA lp and released with 2 versions of it (i have 2 at least).
Well the concerto was released as op.18. And we all think that this is the only concerto he wrote. But the weird thing is the title of the score of the concerto. The score i have of the concerto titles "No.2 Koncert F-Dur".
So is there actually a no.1 concerto?

All best,

Tony

JimL

Off topic, but speaking of Concerto #2s did you know that Hyperion has squashed your YouTube of Kalkbrenner PC 2?  I thought that it had to be the same performance, recorded after the fact to be suppressed for copyright violation.

Christopher

Quote from: fyrexia on Thursday 01 September 2011, 05:29
Talking about ukrainian music and lacks of sufficient information. I have an unsolved question.
It was then recorded on MELODIYA lp and released with 2 versions of it (i have 2 at least).
All best,

Tony

Hi Tony!  Is this Revutsky piano concerto something that you could upload?  :)

Christopher

Quote from: markniew on Wednesday 31 August 2011, 20:50

yes, I will scan the front and back cover (my copies are unfortunately black-and-white). It is in Ukrainian. the set was issued in 2006. It might be not so easy to find it in regular CD shops. My friend bought it just by case in one of the provincinal cities in Ukraine.
It is also difficult to name the label. on the back cover you can see: contact info: e-mail: m_perun@yahoo.com.
2006 "Seriya Dukhovna muzyka Ukrainy" = Artistic??? music of Ukraine series
of "ANDREI" foundation

Thank you very much for this Markniew!  By the way, "dukhovna" means spiritual, so I don't know why a collection of piano music would be called "Spiritual Music of Ukraine series"...!

fyrexia

Quote from: Christopher on Thursday 01 September 2011, 09:20
Quote from: fyrexia on Thursday 01 September 2011, 05:29
All best,

Tony

Hi Tony!  Is this Revutsky piano concerto something that you could upload?  :)

You mean the score or the recording?