Russian & Soviet Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 17 June 2011, 03:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Ok, I have been stupid :( Of course it is the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra :o It says so!! :-[

....but there are three movements, not four?

(The last hour has been somewhat fraught! My apologies :))

eschiss1

Symphony no.4 by Steinberg, Turksib, has the following movements (I think this was on page 3 of this thread. It took me 30 seconds to forget! )

1. À travers sables et monts = [ Across sands and mountains ] -
2. Rapsodie (Chansons du temps passé et d'aujourd'hui) = [ Rhapsody (Songs of the past and the present) ] -
3. Conduisant sa voie d'acier dans un combat incessant contre le desert à travers les montagnes rocheuses, à travers les gouffres et les sables = [ Guiding the steel road in an unceasing combat against the desert across rocky mountains, across chasms and sands ] -
4. Char du diable = [ Devil's chariot ].

I only lack the first since I was fortunate enough to download it when it was still available, so am only downloading that file.
Why do I have a notion I should be following Fyrexia's example and cycling what music of mine is available though- my bandwidth has crossed the gigabyte mark and I actually don't know if Mediafire policy penalizes one (as another site I'm on does, by explicit and known policy, if one's monthly bandwidth exceeds a certain amount, since their policy with their upstream sets certain limits etc. ... anyway. sorry.)

Dundonnell

So what we have here are THREE movements of the Steinberg Symphony No.4?  Is that correct?

What I have downloaded appear to be three movements.

The timings of each movement are-

Which movements are these? Nos. 2-4??

Sorry..I find this very confusing ::)

eschiss1

that's exactly the three movements I have, with the first movement missing. the first movement must still be considered MIA. I hope that clears things up some.

britishcomposer

BTW, it's exactly the same copy which fyrexia uploaded some time ago. (Now no longer available.)

Dundonnell

Dundonnell

That is the Tchaikovsky Symphony No.4 in F minor, op.36 that Mravinsky recorded in that collection.

The reference to Steinberg is as the arranger of his father-in-law Rimsky-Korsakov's Suite.

semloh

Sicmu - thank you for the delightful scores by Glebov - they remind me at times of  Malcolm Arnold when he's being wistful, and in some of the more rhythmic sections one could be forgiven for thinking it was Leonard Bernstein. Most enjoyable to my (conventional) ears! :) :)

Eugene Aleksandrovich Glebov (1929-2000) was a Belarusian and Soviet composer and pedagogue, born in Roslavl in the Smolensk region. From his mother's side, he was a descended from the princely family Sokol-Chernilovsky. His father's family was a family of priests.

The young Glebov taught himself to play the mandolin, guitar and balalaika, and already in his early years he began to compose songs and ballads. He tried to enroll at the music school, but since he didn't know music and had not been to any musical school before, his application was denied. So he enrolled in the Roslavl Railway College and, upon completion, worked as a reviewer of train wagons in Mogilev.

Eventually, Eugene Glebov succeeded to enter the conservatory in Minsk for the composition class of Anatoly Bogatyrev (1913-2003). In 1951 he cre-ated his first major work Fantasia for Piano and Orchestra. After graduation in 1956, Eugene Glebov became a teacher of theoretical disciplines, and later professor at the Belarusian State Conservatory. He held several po-sitions in the Composers' Union of Belarus and was honored as People's Artist of the USSR.

His emotional and unconventional symphonies and concertos, suites, oratorios and ballets include titles as Till Eulenspiegel and The Little Prince.

In 1975, Glebov wanted to write the opera The Master and Margarita, but he wasn't granted the permission to do so. He wrote it after the collapse of the Soviet Union, in 1991. The libretto was written by Evgeny Glebov and Larissa Glebova, the composer's wife. The opera was premiered at the Bolshoi State Academic Theatre of Opera and Ballet of Belarus in 1992.

From: http://www.masterandmargarita.eu/en/05media/glebov.html

herrarte

Yes. Is The same one for all 3 Movements. I forgot to shorten the file name for Movement 3. There's no problem downloading it so I left it like that.

Cheers,

Sicmu

To me Glebov was a kind of Belorussian John Williams : he is very gifted in finding catchy tunes, his orchestration is really colorful and inventive and he is much more at home with ballet than with symphonies IMO.

eschiss1

About Shcherbakhov's 2nd symphony, by the way (I expect this may be relevant information since it's available in the other section and the link may be useful and interesting), there are American Symphony Orchestra program notes about it here (from the same performances).

eschiss1

Hrm. Ok, now I really have to listen to Muradeli's symphonies (or some other works I don't yet have), if only to see why he's considered less conservative than Myaskovsky considered overall. Than Myaskovsky later in the latter's career I can probably grant prior to listening, but Myaskovsky inbetween, ca.1920-32 ...

Dundonnell

Many thanks to Amphissa for the Miaskovsky Cantatas :)