Russian & Soviet Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 17 June 2011, 03:21

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Hrm, Cadensa lists a 1903 recording of an excerpt from Harold. Intriguing. Félia Litvinne, soprano...

Balapoel

Hmm. My Czech is rusty, I'm getting 448,834 document hits, and none (on the first page at least) have anything to do with music. Are these playlists or are there actual radio recordings involved here?

Edit: I see, you need both "eduard and Nápravník" in the Autor box. But does anyone know if there are any accessible streams or other audio for these?

Quote from: eschiss1 on Thursday 05 January 2012, 01:59
according to APF, at least 25 works listed including the following-
*4 pieces op.67 for cello and piano (Utkin, Grokhovsky, on CRO Praha, in 2008)
*4 tenor songs op.68 ( Šrejma, Grokhovsky on CRO Praha in 2011)
*9 excerpts from the opera Dubrovsky (preludes from the opera and 4th act, aria, scene and duet) (several recordings, mostly from 1959) (APF counts each as a separate work- I should have said 25 excerpts/tapes, or somesuch, though they don't count each movement of the quartets etc. separately even if so banded)
*Elegy op.46/3 (Grokhovsky, 2007)
*Fantasy for Violin Op.30
*Piano Quartet Op.42 (2007 recording)
*Both piano trios (2007, 2009 recordings)
*Melancholy (piano) op.48/3
*Violin sonata op.32 (Bernášek/Grokhovsky, 2008)
*String quartets in E op.16, A op.28, C op.65 (Kocian Quartet, 2007)
(This only turns up if one searches on his surname with the diacritics exactly, as Nápravník, btw. :) )

eschiss1

well, to my knowledge no, except that, as with BBC Radio 3, the stations themselves - CRO Praha, D-Dur, etc. which sometimes broadcast items from these archives- mostly have accessible internet audio streams.

eschiss1

(this part belongs more in the Czech Music- or even the Radio subfolder... - but the link for one of those stations is http://www.rozhlas.cz/d-dur/portal and links to the others can be found from there, I think.)

jerfilm

If anyone succeeds in finding some of the radio archive recordings, I hope they will be kind enough to share them.  I'd surely like to hear more of Napranik's music.

Jerry

eschiss1

well, according to this for instance, they do broadcast some of the works occasionally (in this case the songs opus 68 last New Years' Eve on CRo D-Dur, which I think is the one whose link I gave before, which does webstream- if it's the same one, I've listened to it alot in the past. According to their homepage they have some archived programs but I've never looked at/listened to that feature- they do or used to keep a schedule a week into the future or so so I used to write down a "catch this!" sort of table of reminders for that (and other such stations- maybe a European version of our laws forbids lookahead schedules now for similar anti-piracy reasons, I haven't checked...)

Balapoel

Quote from: eschiss1 on Saturday 07 January 2012, 02:40
maybe a European version of our laws forbids lookahead schedules now for similar anti-piracy reasons, I haven't checked...)

True, but for the vast majority of Napravnik pieces mentioned, there are no CDs commercially available (checked through allmusic and arkivmusic). I am really keen on hearing the chamber music especially.

eschiss1

well, according to their search feature, nothing by Nápravník expected between now and February 1st on Czech Radio.
Portuguese Radio has broadcast a recording of the piano quartet (around 1998?) played by the Moscow Piano Quartet (and rebroadcast on Swedish P2 in 1998), btw.

Christopher

Quote from: eschiss1 on Thursday 05 January 2012, 01:59
according to APF, at least 25 works listed including the following-
*4 pieces op.67 for cello and piano (Utkin, Grokhovsky, on CRO Praha, in 2008)
*4 tenor songs op.68 ( Šrejma, Grokhovsky on CRO Praha in 2011)
*9 excerpts from the opera Dubrovsky (preludes from the opera and 4th act, aria, scene and duet) (several recordings, mostly from 1959) (APF counts each as a separate work- I should have said 25 excerpts/tapes, or somesuch, though they don't count each movement of the quartets etc. separately even if so banded)
*Piano Quartet Op.42 (2007 recording)
*Both piano trios (2007, 2009 recordings)
*Melancholy (piano) op.48/3
*Violin sonata op.32 (Bernášek/Grokhovsky, 2008)
*String quartets in E op.16, A op.28, C op.65 (Kocian Quartet, 2007)
(This only turns up if one searches on his surname with the diacritics exactly, as Nápravník, btw. :) )

Are these solo/chamber pieces or orchestral works?

eschiss1

hrm. the fantasy is performed as a violin/piano work, the opus 46 work is performed as a piano work (appropriately, since the opus 46 is a set of 4 bagatelles for piano published by Urbanek of Prague in 1887). The opus 30 exists in both violin/piano and violin/orchestra forms according at least to HMB (published by Bote&Bock in 1880 and 1881 respectively) but probably would usually be considered a violin/orchestra work, I guess.

fyrexia

Thank you isokani, for such performances. I respect a lot Powell performances.
I thank you, specially for the Konstantin Eiges SOnata nO.2

Tony

isokani

Yes, Eiges is certainly unsung. Friend of Medtner, music not dissimilar, but with distinct individuality as well.
I'll have a look for some more Eiges - shorter pieces - soon.

re Napravnik. Last year I was in Prague and I think at DAMU or the conservatoire there was a festival of Napravnik, including performances of chamber music. So perhaps there were some broadcasts recently (the concerts were in October/November I think).

eschiss1

Belated tempo headings for Golubev symphony 7 (Bflat minor op67, 1972-77), by the way (which I have but which I also think was posted here some while back...) (the LP back cover was posted at e-bay by someone, so...combining now two sources of information...)
I. War. Adagio. Allegro eroico
II. For the Fallen. Adagio, maestoso e mesto
III. Resurrection. Presto
IV. The Way to Victory. Allegro festoso

Christopher

Another piece of recorded Napravnik is on the CD "Singers Of Imperial Russia, Vol. 5" - there is a piece called 'Don Juan's Serenade' - I don't know which opera this comes from (if indeed it does come from an opera)...

see http://www.bill88.com/music_review_42/singers_of_imperial_russia_vol_5.html for full listing

jerry.buszek

I cannot access any downloads of fyrexia. Please advise how I can access the downloads. Thank You.

Jerry