Dutch Music Institute threatened with closure

Started by Ilja, Monday 20 June 2011, 08:26

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

J.Z. Herrenberg

Good initiative, Ilja. It's an utter disgrace. I live in Delft and hope to go there to look at some scores by Léon Orthel and Cornelis Dopper. It is ridiculous that in a few years' time the whole collection could be scattered in libraries across the world or even end up at the homes of uninterested descendants. I am disgusted, though I know the nation-state is dying.

eschiss1

In a pessimistic way it almost stands to reason, since they were - hopefully will remain, but were - among the best, in my honest opinion and as it seems to me with my limited perspective, at preserving their national heritage. I have always envied the many facets of the Dutch music preservation and distribution system - I feel that if I selected one I would slight the rest (including scores with the LP recordings, yes! - check. Excellent libraries and library catalogs. Check. Excellent composer-related websites. Check. Concertzender Amsterdam - now- with its long-time extended archival broadcast policy by which I have heard some wonderful music for the first time. Check. ...)