News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Fiesta Criolla

Started by alberto, Tuesday 21 June 2011, 17:08

Previous topic - Next topic

alberto

Partially outside the forum core, for me "Fiesta Criolla" (Chandos 10675) is pure delight.
Music from 1889 (Alberto Williams, here decidedly late romantic, not folkish) to the '40s.
Music from four countries. Argentina: A.Williams (pupil of César Franck), Juan José Castro (pupil of d'Indy), Manuel Gomez Carrillo, the ubiquitous Astor Piazzolla, present with a short piece (himself pupil of Nadia Boulanger). Brazil: Francisco Mignone.
Colombia: Guillermo Uribe Holguin (pupil of d'Indy).
Peru: Theodoro Valcarcer Caballero.
For me nothing less than tuneful and playful.
The absolute winner is for me the short "Congada" by Francisco Mignone (1921): performed even by Richard Strauss and the Wiener Phil. (in Rio, 1923). Mignone rather respighian and substantial suite "Festa des igrejas" was known to me through a recording by Toscanini (now on Guild 2256/67). Some works by  Alberto Williams were known to me through two Arte Nova fairly recent recordings.
Summing up, for me a feast of discoveries (all claimed as premiere recordings).
If one likes, or loves, say, El Salòn Mexico, will easily like this.

jimmattt

!De acuerdo! Alberto Williams in particular is interesting, was able to grab a few more things by him off Buenos Aires radio, the Radio Clasica has a program at 2300 their time of mostly Argentinian music, with interesting things like the Drangosch piano concerto, Williams' Sym no. 2.

eschiss1

I heard once on the radio about a decade ago (on a favorite program aired weekly in Syracuse) a CD released 1997 (in part?) of two works of his - symphony 7 in D Eterno reposo, op103 and Poema del Iguazú, op. 115. Liked the symphony, I recall.

Buster

Uribe Holguín's Three Criollo Dances, in a circa 1958 Colombian recording, can be found here -

http://big10inchrecord.blogspot.com/2010/01/mid-century-music-from-colombia.html

Also on the record is a flute concerto by the younger Colombian composer Luis Antonio Escobar.