Noskowski Symphony 1

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 22 July 2009, 22:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

If you like to listen to just lovely, relaxing piano music, not with great depth but full of pleasant tunes, I can recommend the disc Piano Works 1 (world premiere recording) on the Acte Préalable label. The 18 pieces (opp. 29, 35, 36, 37 and 44) are beautifully performed by Valentina Seferinova, who all Raffians know thanks to Gareth's question to her "Do you play any Joachim Raff?"

I'm still surprised that Noskowski's 1st Symphony is the work of a student. What a gorgeous work, full of depth. Hardly to believe that this masterpiece is written by the same composer of the above mentioned piano pieces.

Yavar Moradi

Quote from: Peter1953 on Friday 09 October 2009, 17:19
I'm still surprised that Noskowski's 1st Symphony is the work of a student. What a gorgeous work, full of depth. Hardly to believe that this masterpiece is written by the same composer of the above mentioned piano pieces.

Well, Raff wrote some lightweight, pretty piano pieces too, and look at all HIS masterpieces!

Yavar

eschiss1

The symphony no. 2 in C minor is from 4 years later (1879, or rather 1875/9); I thought I'd read on a translation of a Polish site that it was available on a limited-edition LP at one point, but now I'm not at all sure. I agree that, judging from the BBC broadcasts, the 3rd symphony is very good stuff. It's good to see that the new recording is labeled volume 1.

Also two string quartets written, etc., but aside from the 3rd symphony I think I've heard only a tone poem and maybe the piano quartet once.
Eric S.

JimL

eschiss1

Quote from: JimL on Wednesday 03 February 2010, 05:28
Welcome back aboard, Eric!
Thanks!  :) (Oh, and now I do notice the thread about the new recording of Noskowski's string quartets. Ask and, etc.!)

Mark Thomas

Yes, welcome back Eric. It's been along time.