Late Romantic piano concertante works that might match well with Mr. Bronsart's?

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 07 August 2012, 05:30

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

generally speaking?
1875-1920 I suppose... something not yet in the Hyperion series and not yet over-recorded, with score and/or parts available so that recording is a possibility; (preferably something that would receive its CD premiere in the series), something one has already heard or seen in score, say (or at least knows enough else by the composer...) Some have already been suggested in the Rachmaninoff thread recently (e.g. the Merrick, say.)

maybe Brandts-Buys', or Gernsheim, come immediately to my mind (not trying to stick to theme of fixed nationality, not when so many traveled and studied so far abroad already in the 19th century - leave alone later! )
Eric

JimL

The Raff, of course, comes to mind, since the two works are almost identically proportioned, use a hint of cyclic technique and come out of the Liszt circle.  Of course, Mike Spring's rather offhanded dismissal of the Raff renders that unlikely.

Mark Thomas

Of course I agree, Raff's Piano Concerto is the obvious coupling and Jim makes an excellent case for it. An even better coupling would be an all-Raff double bill with the Suite for Piano & Orchestra, had that not had a more than adequate recording from Tra Nguyen on Sterling. But as Hyperion seems to have set its face against Raff (and I don't complain about that) then for me the most appropriate couple for Bronsart von Schellendorf's concerto would, at least on paper, be the Boise.

eschiss1

He's been mentioned a number of times here but this is the first time I've heard of Mr. Otis Boise. Hrm. Very interesting...

thalbergmad

The Boise is in the same vein as Moszkowski. Less memorable but no less spectacular. Pretty difficult at the proper tempo, so it is well beyond me, but I do detect considerable fun and it would be a storm in the correct hands.

It is being looked at by a reasonably well known American pianist so perhaps we will have a performance if not a recording.

Thal

eschiss1

There's a dissertation that hopefully contains not just score (in this edition, which hopefully has some reason for being a "critical edition") but also parts. Johns Hopkins U. has the ms score  in any case as well as scores and parts for several other works of his which, unlike the concerto, do not seem to have been published... anyhow. Sorry.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteThere's a dissertation that hopefully contains not just score (in this edition, which hopefully has some reason for being a "critical edition") but also parts.

I have this. It is the full score only, with an accompanying essay. The score was, apparently, in a parlous condition, so the author had to do quite a bit of work to produce his edition. I assume that, once the score has been produced and stored as a "Sibelius" (or other notation software file) it should be a relatively straightforward task to extract a set of parts.

JimL

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 07 August 2012, 13:00
There's a dissertation that hopefully contains not just score (in this edition, which hopefully has some reason for being a "critical edition") but also parts. Johns Hopkins U. has the ms score  in any case as well as scores and parts for several other works of his which, unlike the concerto, do not seem to have been published... anyhow. Sorry.
Claremont University?  Hey!  That's in my neck of the woods!

Mark Thomas

kyjo

The Raff PC has already been recorded in an excellent performance, as has the suite. Of course, a new performance would be welcome, but I'd like to hear the Boise. BTW, is CPO bringing out the Gernsheim PC?

JimL

Just giving a shout out to Claremont U., Mark.  As for the Raff PC, which performance do you consider to be "excellent", Kyjo?  The Aronsky is draggy at the beginning of the first movement (although it does pick up steam as the movement progresses), the Cooper LP performance (the best IMHO) hasn't been re-released on CD, and the Ponti performances have the usual Ponti problems.  I'm not familiar with the Claves version.  Is that the one you're talking about?  For the sake of completeness, I'd like to see Tra Nguyen do the concerto and Frühlingsode so that Sterling has the complete Raff concertante works for piano in its kitty.

Mark Thomas

At the risk of incurring Alan's wrath at the diversion, FWIW my choice amongst the various Raff Piano Concerto contenders on CD is Jean-François Antonioli on Claves. Elsewhere I've said it "delivers a finely judged interpretation with plenty of light and shade, bravado and pathos. Lawrence Foster and the Lausanne Chamber Orchestra provide impeccable support and it all makes for a satisfying listen." All of which is true, but it still lacks some fire, especially in the orchestra. For me also Frank Cooper's performance on a 1970s Genesis LP remains the benchmark even though the Nürnberg Orchestra is ragged in places, but there's no sign of it being reissued.

As for Tra, I know that she thinks the Suite a better work than the Concerto (although I've heard her play both convincingly in concert) and there's no prospect of her recording it and the Ode au printemps for Sterling, which generally only issues world première recordings. There is certainly more Raff to come soon from Stockholm, but not this coupling.

Anyway, back to the question of a pipe-dream coupling for the Bronsart...

kyjo

Gosh, what is wrong with me :o? I thought that Tra Nguyen had recorded the Raff PC! She did make an EXCELLENT recording of the SUITE for piano and orchestra! The Ponti recording is very exciting, but with the usual sub-standard orchestra. Realizing my mistake now, I would GREATLY welcome a new recording of the Raff PC ;D ;D!

chill319

Night and Day, two poems for piano and orchestra (1902) by Converse.

kyjo

A good suggestion, chill319, but I really doubt Hyperion is going to pair a powerhouse German piece with two (supposedly impressionistic) compositions by an American! Perhaps Dutton will record it if they decide to record more Converse (apologies to those who don't agree with Dutton recording non-British music, but I don't see anything wrong with that). And when are any of Converse's five symphonies going to get recorded, not to mention the unrecorded ones of Hadley and the TWELVE symphonies of Philip Greeley Clapp (though thankfully a few of the latter's are available for download here) :o? The neglect of American music (especially in the 19th and early 20th centuries) is inexcuseable >:(! Anyway, back to couplings for the Bronsart (it's easy to get carried away :-X)...